Persian Language III (Postgraduate)
- Course Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Appropriate language level (e.g. Persian Language 2 or equivalent standard)
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
On successful completion of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate the ability to . . .
- show knowledge and understanding of advanced Persian grammar
- show knowledge and understanding of a varied range of Persian vocabulary
- show knowledge and use of a wide range of Persian idiomatic structures and expressions in a given context
- understand texts in modern written Persian of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- produce passages in written Persian of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- show knowledge and understanding of the role of language in general, and Persian in particular, in language-based scholarship and research
This course will be taught over 22 weeks with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes. An additional 6 hours will be spent in lectures and a further 6 hours will be spent in seminars/tutorials over the 22 week period.
Scope and syllabus
The emphasis of this advanced course is on reading, writing, listening, speaking and translation of modern texts. After successful completion of this course students should be able to follow advanced modern Persian texts unaided and to comprehend news items, interviews, prose narratives and short literary prose texts with the help of a dictionary. They should also be able to produce written material in Persian such as everyday correspondence.
Spoken language is taught as part of the course, students can expect to improve their oral and aural competence through classroom activities, access to films, media related audio/visual material on the net or the BLE, and conversational exchanges.
The faculty provision for postgraduate language courses will be employed.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50%); one 3,000 word essay to be submitted on Friday, week 1, term 3 (30%); one oral examination of 30 minutes taken in May/June (20%).
- Selected material from the website AZUFA, a specialized portal for teaching Persian as a foreign language to adults in academic institutions, continuously maintained by and updated by the research centre for humanities in Tehran, Iran: http://www.ihcs.ac.ir/Pages/Features/Home.aspx
- Selected material from the website of the Centre for the Promotion of Persian language: www.persian-language.org
- News items from BBC Persian (www.bbc.co.uk/persian)
- Saffar-Moghaddam, Ahmad: Farsi-ye omumi. Vol 2 „Iran-e Emrooz“. Tehran. 1392 / 2013.
- Saffar-Moghaddam, Ahmad: Farsi-ye omumi. Vol 3: Tarikh, Farhang va Tamaddon-e Iran. Tehran. 1392 / 2013.