The Economy of Sub-Saharan Africa
- Course Not Running 2014/15
- Unit value:
As part of this module you will study emerging developments in management practices across the Sub-Saharan region. The module combines general trends in trade and investment with specific studies of business management. It focuses on the the factors that create successful businesses in Africa, and the specific business conditions on the continent.
This module will be available to study in 2014. More information on the content of this module will appear shortly.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
When you have completed your study of this module you will have:
- An understanding of the main topics of debate on African economic development across a broad range of topics including agriculture, labour markets, banking and microfinance, investment, governance and growth prospects.
- An ability to outline the major features of African economic development and an ability to critically engage with the popular arguments about Afro-pessimism
- An ability to engage in key debates on African economic performance.
- An in-depth knowledge of African economics and an ability to engage with the current debates that they will confront when engaging in African economies as professionals. Knowledge of the key economic theories relevant to specific topics or areas of focus and their application to relevant case studies.