Centre of South East Asian Studies Events
The events draw a varied audience with an interest in the region.
All events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further information contact the Centres and Programmes Office.
Please note that every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on the website is as accurate as possible. We cannot guarantee, however, that subsequent changes have not been made. Please be advised to check information relating to scheduled events by using the contact information provided.
- Chulia Cultural Expressions in nineteenth century Penang
Khoo Salma Nasution (Penang Heritage Trust)
- New perspectives on Arakan in the first millennium: its name, dynastic history and Buddhist culture
Prof Arlo Griffiths (École française d'Extrême-Orient (French School of Asian Studies))
- The Hospital stela inscriptions of king Jayavarman VII of Cambodia
Professor Claude Jacques (École Pratique des Hautes Études EPHE, Sorbonne)
- Cultural Citizenship in Indonesia: (post)colonial trajectories
Prof Henk Schulte Nordholt (Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asia and Caribbean Studies (KITLV) and Leiden University)
- Islamist Politics and Popular Culture in Malaysia: Negotiating normative change between Sharia Law and electric guitars
Dr Dominik Müller (Goethe-University Frankfurt)
- Workshop on Indonesian Cinema
Dr Ben Murtagh (SOAS, University of London) and Ekky Imanjaya (University of East Anglia)
- Southeast Asia's half miracle: Economic progress and remaining challenges
Prof Anne Booth (SOAS, University of London)
- Title TBC