CSJR Postgraduate Student Bursary
Deadline: 1 June 2015
The Centre for the Study of Japanese Religions offers a CSJR Postgraduate Student Bursary in Japanese Religions to be held at SOAS, University of London.
The total value of the scholarship is £5,000 for one year only for full-time programmes, providing a contribution towards fees. For part-time MA programmes, the £5,000 will be paid over the duration of the MA programme (i.e. £2,500 per year over two years for a two-year part-time MA). For a part-time MPhil/PhD programme, £2,500 will be paid in year one and £2,500 in year two. If the successful candidate receives a grant to cover fees from another funding body, the bursary can be used towards maintenance.
Applications are invited from outstanding students of Japanese religions, regardless of nationality.
- full-time or part-time MPhil/PhD in Japanese Religions (Department of the Study of Religions)
- full-time or part-time MA Religions of Asia and Africa or MA Buddhist Studies intending to focus on Japanese religions/ Japanese Buddhism
- New admissions only (programmes starting in September 2015).
- Applicants must possess an outstanding academic record
- Taught Masters (MA) applicants must focus on Japanese Religions / Japanese Buddhism. Evidence of this should be included in the statement of their admission application.
- Taught Masters (MA) and PhD applicants should give evidence in the statement of their admission application of their ability to use sources in Japanese.
- Open to UK/EU and OVERSEAS candidates.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 30 June 2015.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel. The Centre reserves the right not to make an award in the event that no suitable application is received.
- On evidence that the primary focus of the candidate's study is in Japanese Religions / Japanese Buddhism.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your application for admission. Selectors will be looking at academic references, degree results, statement, CV, research proposal (MPhil/PhD applications only) and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK time) on 1 June 2015.
- Applicants must ALSO submit a complete application to their programme well in advance and then submit an application for the scholarship. Please note that complete applications for admission can take 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete scholarship applications will not be considered.
Notification of Results
The successful candidate will be notified by email by the end of June. If you have not had a response to your application by mid-July you may assume that you have not been successful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application as soon as possible but no later than the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal (MPhil/PhD applications only) and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
For academic enquiries only, please contact: Dr Lucia Dolce – firstname.lastname@example.org
For scholarship enquiries only, please email: email@example.com
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/ 5091