Welcome to the Centre for the Study of Pakistan
The Centre for the Study of Pakistan's purposes are to:
- promote research and teaching in the study of Pakistan, both contemporary and historical, across a range of disciplines at SOAS
- bring together and publicise the range of work on Pakistan underway at SOAS, to build synergies between staff working on Pakistan and to encourage and facilitate fund raising for such initiatives
- work towards developing an interdisciplinary MA programme in the Study of Contemporary Pakistan
- foster and facilitate links between SOAS and other individuals and institutions in the UK and abroad who are engaged in academic study of Pakistan across various disciplines
- develop outreach programmes to disseminate knowledge of Pakistan to a wider public through a variety of events including workshops, conferences, exhibitions, film and performance arts
- promote understanding of Pakistan in all its aspects to involve Pakistan communities and diasporic groups and to organise joint events, as and when appropriate.
Some 12 members of staff, from all the disciplines represented at the School, are members of the Centre.
Studying Pakistan at SOAS
This pioneering MA aims to understand Contemporary Pakistan in its complexities of culture, nation, politics, religion, law and economics. Students who enrol for this MA will be able to engage in a deep interdisciplinary analysis of the diversity and richness of Pakistan.