PhD Students in the Department of Development Studies
Recently Completed PhDs
- Liberal Cosmopolitan and Realist Approaches to Gulf Wars 1991 and 2003: The Role of Discourse in Decision Making (2012; Ahmed Ijaz Malik)
- Negotiating War and the Liberal Peace: National NGOs, Legitimacy and the Politics of Peacebuilding in Sri Lanka 2006-7 (2010)
- The Architecture of Production and Labour Control in the Indian Garment Industry: Informalisation and Upgrading in the Global Economy (2009)
- Youth in Post-Soviet Central Asia: Exploring Transition, Globalization and Youth Culture in the Ferghana Valley (2009)
- The Politics of Development in Rural Rajasthan (India): Evidence from Water Conservation and Watershed Development Initiatives since the Early 1990s (2009)
- Fiscal Decentralisation and Local Development in Ghana with Reference to the Tamale Municipal Assembly (2008)
- Building an African World Class City: The Politics of World City Making in Johannesburg, South Africa (2008)
- (The Production of) Who Is A Refugee? (2008)
- Open Spaces and Hegemonic Practices in Global Civil Society: The World Social Forum 2004 (2007)
- Export grape production and development in North East Brazil (2007)
- Salvadorian Women's Empowerment - Adult Literacy as development (2007)
The Political Economy of Higher Education and Graduate Employment: The case of higher education expansion in post-conflict Somaliland
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research title: Public securities in Brazil: dynamic and implications for the economy (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Local Governance in the Age of Liberal Interventionism: Governance Relations in the post-2001 Afghanistan.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal Migration and Urbanisation in Istanbul: A Neoliberal Transformation
- Email: email@example.com
Indigenous peoples' migration and agrobiodiversity conservation: exploring connections in the Bolivian Altiplano Norte (provisional title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Logic of 'Rational Benevolence': The Political Economy of Dispersing Elites through Privatization and Diversification in Post-1994 Rwanda.
- Email: email@example.com
Public water, private ethos? Exploring financialisation and corporatisation in global and Mozambican water governance
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Citizens, Building Security: Demobilisation, Disarmament and Reintegration process in Colombia from 2002-2010
- Email: email@example.com
Institutionalized violence? Examining the role of informal institutions in armed violence in South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Palestinian refugees living in informal areas of the Jordanian capital, Amman: Negotiating economic opportunities
- Email: email@example.com
International interventions during transition in Timor-Leste: Implications for stability and the prevention of violent conflict
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The impact of neoliberalism on the relationship between the Israeli state and Jewish labour
- Email: email@example.com
A Critical Geopolitics of Iran in an Emerging New World Order (preliminary)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Working title: The politics of Murle identity, experiences of violence and of the State in Boma, South Sudan.
- Email: email@example.com
Powerful Publics: Civil Society, Tunisia, and the Transition to Democracy (2011-2013)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Agricultural cooperatives in Lebanon: Farmers’ cooperation and agricultural development policies after the end of the civil war in 1990
- Email: email@example.com
Higher Education, Globalisation, and Internationalisation: A Study of Contemporary Shifts in Higher Education in Punjab, India
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fighting for Patronage: American Counterinsurgency and the Afghan Local Police
- Email: email@example.com
The agrarian question, the corporate food regime and peasant organizing in Mexico and Ecuador
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Citizenship at the intersections: Caste, Gender, and Class in India
- Email: email@example.com
Cultural, Political and Economic Mechanisms in the Concurrent Processes of Environmental Degradation and Decline of Indigenous Peoples in Bangladesh (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The politics of protection at the micro level of armed conflict: Case studies from the Central African Republic & South Sudan
- Email: email@example.com
Dunam after Dunam: Transitions in Farming across the Jordan Valley
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Taxation and state-building in Afghanistan, a political economy framework
- Email: email@example.com
'Complexity' through mobile phone led 'networking'; exploring financial benefits of rural residents in Bangladesh
- Email: Z_jahangir@soas.ac.uk
Broadly my thesis is looking at the impact of unionization of informal sector women workers in India on bargaining relations within the home, with a specific focus on masculinity.
- Email: Nehakagal1@gmail.com
Decentralization, Participation, Accountability and District Development Planning in Malawi
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Political Economy of Civil Society Development: Iraqi NGOs and state formation processes since 2003
- Email: email@example.com
Strong State-Society Synergy for Inclusive Natural Resources Governance: Comparing Brazil and South Africa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Internationalization of Big Business in Brazil and South Africa: Liberalization and Changing State-Business Relations
- Email: email@example.com
[working title] Surplus to Requirements: Urban poor livelihoods and experiences of resettlement in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
‘Just Add Water’ - The Alchemy of Authoritarian Rule in Large-Scale Agricultural and Residential Developments in Egyptian Deserts during the Mubarak Era. (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Fortifying or fragmenting the Myanmar state? The political economy of the opium trade in Shan State, 1988-2014
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The European and national policies on migration and asylum and their impact on the physiognomy of the port of entries and on the migration patterns in the Greek-Turkish border in the last twenty years. (Working title)
- Email: email@example.com
Global Production and Industrial Restructuring in India: Capital Strategies and Labour Practices within a Booming Automotive Sector (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Working for Smallholders: Agricultural Workers, Labour Markets and Poverty in Southern Ghana.
- Email: email@example.com
Possibilities and limits of green economic models under the prevailing global economic order: A critical analysis of commodification and/or financialisation of the environment from the perspective of political economy of the environment.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Roma in Turkey. From Survival Mechanisms to Development Strategies
- Email: email@example.com
Institutional Models to Resolve Conflicts over Natural Resource Governance: Role of Community Enterprises and Solidarity Economy
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Working title) Perspectives on the failed State paradigm, Guinea-Bissau: A failed state or a state in the making?
- Email: email@example.com
Prospects for transformation in small economies: institutional dynamics and technology governance in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Political Economy of Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) in Colombia: A Micro-Level Analysis of War-to-Peace Transition
- Email: email@example.com
Ordinary & Extraordinary Resistance: The Struggle for Land, Space and Place by the Palestinian Citizens of Israel
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International non-governmental organisations, “humanitarian triage” and the politics of impartiality in conflict and natural disasters settings - Pakistan 2004-2012
- Email: email@example.com
The Politics of Peace: Accounting for Security in Women’s Political Participation In Somaliland (1991-2012)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Agrarian change and agricultural commercialization in the Ethiopian coffee and floricultural sectors
- Email: email@example.com
Relationship between News Media and New Social Movements in India in an Age of Neoliberal Globalisation.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Working Title: Urban violence and disillusionment with democracy in the Maldives.
- Email: email@example.com
The internationalization of 'The Developmental State': The role of Development Aid and Capital Flows.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Corporate Agribusiness and Agrarian Accumulation in Liberalised India (working title)
- Email: email@example.com
'Narratives of Human Rights: Universal concepts brought into focus through lenses of life stories'
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Media imperialism in the age of globalization. The case of India and Pakistan.
- Email: email@example.com
Occupational Hazard or Patriarchal Entitlement? : Feminist Analysis of the Dynamics of Violence in Ethiopian Sex Work (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The impact of private voluntary standards on the degree and form of commodification in Indian agriculture.
- Email: email@example.com
Britain's relationship with the states of the Gulf Cooperation Council in the post-Cold War era
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Human trafficking in the wake of natural disaster: the case of Typhoon Haiyan
- Email: email@example.com
Comparative Research on Social and Political Accountability in the Implementation of National REDD+ Programmes (working title)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Acceleration of Privatization Process in Turkey: why in the last decade?
- Email: email@example.com
Labour disputes of young generation migrant workers in China
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org