Director’s Teaching Prize Criteria and Procedures
Criteria for the Prize
The following indicate the criteria against which nominations will be assessed by the Award Panel. Nominees are not required to excel in all of these areas, but must address the relevant criteria clearly and concisely in their submission.
The Award Panel will be looking for evidence of success in one or more of the following:
- Encouraging students’ independent critical thinking and taking responsibility for their own learning;
- Using innovative teaching strategies/or innovative support for student learning;
- Stimulating students’ intellectual curiosity and interest in ways which will inspire their commitment to learning;
- Meeting the needs of the diverse student population;
- Undertaking scholarly/creative work which contributes to excellence in teaching and learning (this could include new courses, learning resources, publications, AV or IT material, etc.).
SOAS students or fellow staff may wish to nominate an individual member of staff for the Director’s Teaching Prize specifying for which category they want their nominee to be considered for the award. They should fill out a nomination form (available in print, downloadable from the webpage or accessible online as a google form via the webpage) and return it to the ADD.
Nominations will be collected, processed by the ADD and sent to the respective SOAS Faculties.
Each Faculty will organise a selection panel in order to shortlist candidates for final deliberation by the Director's Teaching Prize Award Panel.
If the nominee agrees to be put forward, he/she should give the Dean of the Faculty a statement of approximately 300-500 words addressing the criteria set out above along with a curriculum vitae*.
The curriculum vitae should be short and contain only the following information:
- The name, job title, Department/Faculty of the individual (for team nominations, individual curriculum vitae should be provided).
- A full career record including all previous professional appointments with dates, including the date of joining SOAS.
- A summary of current teaching/teaching support commitments, and those for the previous year.
If the candidate has produced any publications which are directly relevant to teaching and pedagogical issues, these should also be listed.
|Nominations open||Friday 20th March|
|Nominations close||Tuesday 5th May|
|Processed nominations submitted to Faculties|
|Deadline for Faculty shortlists|
|Award Panel selection meeting|
Screening of nominations
The Nominations will be screened by the Award Panel and will make its final recommendations to the Director on the basis of the written submission and/or the interviews.
The Award Panel will consist of:
- The Pro-Director
- Three Associate Deans (Learning & Teaching)
- The Director of Academic Development
- An external member nominated by the Director
- A representative of the Students’ Union
Enquiries should be directed to the front desk in the ADD (email@example.com) Ex 4550.