Disability Equality Scheme - Archive
This page has the new edition of the SOAS Disability Equality Scheme, which has several parts:
The SOAS Disability Equality Scheme 2010 - 2012 is a text document which describes how the Scheme and its action plan were developed, how we involve our disabled students and staff and includes some information which indicates how well SOAS is doing compared with other measures.
The Action Plan 2010- 2012 is a tabular document which includes some information on who is responsible for each action and the timeframe within which we expect to work.
There is also a plain text list of the actions in the action plan 2010 - 2012.
There are 6 Appendices to the DES which are:
- Appendix 1 - a summary of the six elements of the general duty and the specific duty from the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 [DDA V]
- Appendix 2 - the DDA definition of disability from the DRC Code of Practice
- Appendix 3 - brief summary of the social and medical models of disability
- Appendix 4 - Summary of demographic data for the three London areas
- Appendix 5 - descriptions of the ethical, best practice and business cases for diversity
- Appendix 6 – the SOAS student HESA return disability statistics 1995 - 2008
The old edition of the DES and its Action Plan has been taken down from this page, but in the Spring Term 2010 there will be a report to the Equality & Diversity Committee concerning the progress made over the three years covered by the 2007-2009 plan. That report will be published on this page in due course, most likely in March 2010.
Some useful links:
SOAS student disability information: http://www.soas.ac.uk/disability/students/
SOAS Annual Reports on Staff Diversity & Student Diversity
SOAS Vision & Strategy documents
SOAS Committee Structure