Equality and Diversity Statement
SOAS welcomes a diverse population of both students and staff and this very diversity is one of the institution’s greatest strengths. In order to consolidate and build upon this diversity, it is essential that equality of opportunity and the absence of unfair discrimination be at the core of all the School’s activities.
The School recognises the link between equality and quality and will not unfairly discriminate in the recruitment or general treatment of staff or students on the basis of any factor which is not relevant to academic achievement.
The School is committed to promoting and developing equality of opportunity in all its functions and will seek to do this by:
- communicating its commitment to equality and diversity to all members of the SOAS community
- communicating where responsibility lies for equality issues
- providing training for decision-makers and briefings for staff and students
- maintaining mechanisms for implementation, monitoring, evaluation and review
- taking positive action to redress any under-representation of particular sub-groups in the workforce
- treating acts of discrimination as a disciplinary offence
- consulting with trade unions, interested groups and individuals, internal and external
The Governing Body and Executive Board have responsibility for ensuring that the School operates within the legal framework for equality and for implementing the policy throughout the School. The Equality & Diversity Committee has responsibility for receiving the regular statistical monitoring reports and for developing and monitoring the Equality & Diversity Sub-strategy.
In addition, each member of the School community is responsible for preventing unfair discrimination or harassment or victimisation which it is within their control to prevent; and challenging or reporting such in appropriate behaviour if it occurs.
The Diversity Advisor is responsible for keeping the Governing Body and Executive Board informed of all developments in this area and for making appropriate staff aware of any specific responsibilities that relate to their work within the School.