[skip to content]

International Students


The main student residence at SOAS is Dinwiddy House, which provides accommodation for 500 undergraduate and postgraduate students. There is another student residence called Paul Robeson House, which is only for postgraduates. Both residences are run by Sanctuary Students.

Dinwiddy and Paul Robeson are adjacent to the Vernon Square campus and a 20 minute walk from the main campus at Russell Square. The residence offers purpose built, self-catering accommodation.

Each student has an individual study-bedroom with en-suite facilities, telephone and broadband internet access. Six or seven rooms are clustered around shared kitchen and dining facilities.

Where possible, students will be offered a choice of single or mixed sex clusters. Students can cook for themselves, or choose to eat at the School or in one of the many cafes or restaurants nearby. A laundry, common room and games room are also available on site.

Applying for Accommodation

Once you have been offered a place at SOAS and have accepted this offer, you can then apply online for accommodation

  • International students are given priority for housing; however, since it is offered on a rolling basis, you should apply as soon as possible to make sure you are guaranteed a place.
  • Please ensure you give an e-mail address you check regularly, as this is what Sanctuary Students will use to contact you with important information.
To apply for September entry:

To apply for SOAS accommodation from September, please visit Sanctuary Students and then you may fill out the online application using your 8-digit SOAS ID number (that you received in your offer letter).   

If you are successful, Sanctuary Students will offer you a 38-week contract, although you may only be staying for one term, please accept this. You will not be required to stay for the whole 38 weeks. On your arrival, you will need to fill out an early departure form.

To apply for January entry:

To apply for SOAS accommodation from January, please wait until at least October and then you may fill out the online application using your 8-digit SOAS ID number (that you received in your offer letter) to be put on the Sanctuary Students Waiting List.  

If you have any further queries, please contact student@sanctuary-students.com

Private accommodation

Should you apply too late for accommodation, or you would prefer to live in private housing, SOAS can also assist you. The University of London accommodation office provides help and guidance for new students as well as a full range of services to assist you in finding housing.

Visit the University of London Housing website

If you decide to live in private accommodation, SOAS recommends that you arrive a few weeks before the start of term to allow time to find somewhere that is right for you. The Study Abroad office is happy to help you set up temporary accommodation in London and help in any way we can.

Private student residences in London

London also has a range of independent halls for students in London, many of which are close to SOAS, for example: