Options for Students Ineligible for an Honours Degree
If you have received an email from the Exams Office to inform you that you are not currently eligible for the award of an Honours Degree. There are a number of options now available to you.
- If you have been informed that you are eligible for the award of a Pass Degree - Options 1, 2 and 3, below, may be available to you.
- If you have been informed that you are currently ineligible for an award - Options 2 and 3, below, may be available to you.
Option 1 Accept the Award of a Pass Degree
You may choose to accept the award of a Pass Degree. If you wish to accept the award, please confirm this via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 6 July 2015. Should you accept the award, you will not be eligible to re-enter for examination for an Honours degree. Your certificate and academic transcript will be forwarded to you in due course. Please see Transcript and certificates for further information.
Option 2 Re-enter to take failed assessments in 2015/16, without re-attending the course(s) concerned
You may apply to re-enter to take failed assessments or examinations only if you have remaining rights of re-entry. You should email email@example.com confirming the courses and assessments (e.g. assignment 1, examination) for which you wish to re-enter no later than 31 August 2015.
You will be required to pay an examination re-entry fee of £40 per course unit. Re-entry fees can be paid through store.soas.ac.uk. Please follow the Product Catalogue to University Services and select Re-entry Fees.
- If you are unsure what re-entry options are open to you, please consult Re-entry Regulations.
- If you have an approved deferral for some of your courses, you will be automatically re-entered for any deferred element of assessment, as per the email confirmation sent to your SOAS account.
Please note that if you choose this option, you will not be permitted to attend lectures or other classes during 2015/16.
Option 3 Apply to re-attend failed courses during 2015/16
You may wish to apply to re-attend course(s) either as a part-time or full-time student. You may not repeat any course that you have already passed and you must follow any courses that are compulsory for your programme.
- If repeating on a full-time basis, you may repeat the courses you took in 2014/15 (subject to availability), take new courses or a mixture of the two. Normal tuition fees will apply if you choose to apply to re-take courses. Please note that you may choose this option only if you have the right of examination re-entry left. Re-attending a course does not give you rights of examination re-entry over and above to which you are entitled by virtue of your degree registration.
- If repeating on a part-time basis, you must repeat courses you failed in 2014/15, (subject to availability).
Please note that you may choose this option only if you have the right of examination re-entry left. Re-attending a course does not give you rights of examination re-entry over and above to which you are entitled by virtue of your degree registration.
- If you wish to apply to repeat courses(s) in 2015/16, please complete the appropriate form on the right hand side. Please read carefully the explanatory notes before submitting the form for consideration.
1. Failure to act.
If you do not contact the Exams Office by 31 August 2015 to indicate your chosen option, we will assume that you do not wish to complete the requirements for the award of a degree. If you do not re-enter to take failed assessments either with or without re-attending in 2015/16, you will not be permitted to do so at a later date except where the School deems your absence with good cause.
2. What happens in June 2016 if I re-enter for failed assessments in 2015/16?
The marks for your re-entered assessments will count towards your overall profile and your results will be considered for classification by the School Board at its meeting in June 2016.