Information for Prospective Students from France
Welcome to the country page for France. This page contains specific information for students from France.
- Entry Requirements
- English Language Requirements
- Socrates/ Erasmus Exchange and Study Abroad
- UK/EU Funding
- SOAS Careers Service
- Student Profile: Xavier Fournier
- Useful Links
Dan Rolfe, responsible for supporting students from France, would be very happy to answer any questions you may have about applying to and studying at SOAS.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4035
Dan visits France to meet with students interested in studying at SOAS. Further information can be found on the Meet SOAS staff in your area web page.
SOAS welcomes applications from holders of the French Baccalaureat for direct entry to undergraduate programmes. Entry requirements vary between departments, this ranges from 12-15/20 overall.
- A typical French Baccalaureat requirement for a course with a AAA/AAB A level entry requirement is an 14-15/20 overall.
- A typical French Baccalaureat requirement for a course with a BBB/BBC/BCC A level entry requirement is an 12-13/20 overall.
For International Baccalaureate (IB) applicants we require between 32 and 38 points depending on the programme applied for.
For full details please refer to: IB Entry Requirements
How to apply
For Masters programmes, SOAS will accept the Licence with a minimum 'bien' and the Diplôme from a grande école with a mark of 13.
How to apply
To ensure that you can fully benefit from your studies at SOAS, you will need to demonstrate that you meet our minimum English Language entry requirements.
SOAS has Erasmus exchange agreements with a number of universities in France through which undergraduate and postgraduate students can study for one year or one semester at SOAS as part of their degree. More information can be found on the Socrates/ Erasmus pages. In the first instance students should speak to the exchanges or international office in their university for application details. If your university does not have an exchange agreement with SOAS then you can still apply to spend one semester or one year at SOAS as part of your undergraduate degree on the 'Study Abroad' programme. Further information and an application form can be found on the Semester Abroad pages or please contact email@example.com.
SOAS offers a range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. There are other scholarships provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations. For further information please visit the Scholarships web page.
French students who are eligible for UK/EU fees can also apply for a loan from Student Finance. The loan covers your tuition fees, is paid direct to SOAS and does not need to be paid back until after you complete your studies.
The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation. There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.
SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions then please visit the SOAS alumni website.
- The British Council is the UK's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. Their France website is a useful resource for education in the UK and other cultural information.
- The British Embassy in France where you can find information about all aspects of the UK
- UCAS - the Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the central organisation through which undergraduate applications are processed for entry to Higher Education.
- UKCISA - the Council for International Student Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying in the UK.