Information for Prospective Students from Germany
Welcome to the country page for Germany. This page contains specific information for students from Germany.
- Entry Requirements
- English Language Requirements
- Socrates/ Erasmus Exchange or Study Abroad
- UK/EU Funding
- SOAS Careers Service
- Student Profile: Nina Kaysser
- Useful Links
Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4700
Further information on upcoming visits can be found on the Meet SOAS staff in your area web page.
SOAS welcomes applications from holders of the Abitur for direct entry to undergraduate programmes. Entry requirements vary between departments, this ranges between 1.0-2.9 overall.
- A typical Abitur requirement for a course with a AAA/AAB A level entry requirement is an overall 'sehr gut' (1.5-1.9).
- A typical Abitur requirement for a course with a BBB/BBC/BCC A level entry requirement is an overall 'gut' (2.0-2.5).
For International Baccalaureate (IB) applicants we require between 32 and 38 points depending on the programme applied for.
For full details please refer to: IB Entry Requirements
How to apply
For Masters programmes, SOAS will accept completion of the Bachelors degree (three years) with a minimum overall mark of 2.3.
How to apply
SOAS accepts the German Abitur English (main course) with a score of 13 for unconditional entry or a score of 10 for entry with an Insessional requirement. For more information, and to view our other acceptable English language qualifications, please click here.
SOAS has Erasmus exchange agreements with a number of universities in Germany through which undergraduate and postgraduate students can study for one year or one semester at SOAS as part of their degree. More information can be found on the Socrates/ Erasmus pages. In the first instance students should speak to the exchanges or international office in their university for application details. If your university does not have an exchange agreement with SOAS then you can still apply to spend one semester or one year at SOAS as part of your undergraduate degree on the 'Study Abroad' programme. Further information and an application form can be found on the Semester Abroad pages or please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOAS offers a range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. There are other scholarships provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations. For further information please visit the Scholarships web page.
German students who are eligible for UK/EU fees can also apply for a loan from Student Finance. The loan covers your tuition fees, is paid direct to SOAS and does not need to be paid back until after you complete your studies.
The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation.
There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.
SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions then please visit the SOAS alumni website.
- The British Council is the UK's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. The British Council Germany website is a useful resource for education in the UK and other cultural information.
- The British Embassy in Germany where you can find information about all aspects of the UK
- DAAD - The German Academic Exchange Service
- UCAS - the Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the central organisation through which undergraduate applications are processed for entry to Higher Education.
- UKCISA - the Council for International Student Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying in the UK, including visa advice.