Graduation - On The Day
Arrival and Registration
Our ceremonies are held next door to SOAS in Logan Hall in the Institute of Education, please make your way to SOAS and you will be directed to the venue.
Your tickets will be issued on the day of the ceremony at the Registration Desk in Clarke Hall. Please bring proof of purchase and ID such as a student card, driving licence or passport.
Please arrive in good time - it can take between 1 hour and 1½ hours to complete registration and gowning to be completed and you must be in your seats in the auditorium by the times stated below.
When to Arrive on the Day
Morning Ceremony Tuesday 29 July: Registration opens 8:00am; Graduands must be seated by 9:30am
Afternoon Ceremony Tuesday 29 July: Registration opens 1:30pm; Graduands must be seated by 2:30pm
Morning Ceremony Wednesday 30 July: Registration opens 8:00am; Graduands must be seated by 9:30am
Afternoon Ceremony Wednesday 30 July: Registration opens 1:30pm; Graduands must be seated by 2:30pm
Afternoon Ceremony Thursday 31 July: Registration opens 1:30pm; Graduands must be seated by 2:30pm
The nearest mainline stations are Euston and Kings Cross. Please visit the National Rail web site for more information.
There is no parking at SOAS or at the Institute of Education. There are however, a number of NCP car parks nearby, for example Bedford Way, Coram Street and Marchmont Street. Further information can be found on the Camden Council Web Site
Both the Institute of Education and SOAS are in the congestion charging zone. The London scheme requires drivers to pay a fee, per day, if they wish to drive in central London during the scheme's hours of operation. For further information please view the Transport for London web site.
Guests with tickets for Logan Hall should be seated by the following times:
Morning Ceremony Tuesday 29 July: 10.00am
Afternoon Ceremony Tuesday 29 July: 3.00pm
Morning Ceremony Wednesday 30 July: 10.00am
Afternoon Ceremony Wednesday 30 July: 3.00pm
Afternoon Ceremony Thursday 31 July: 3.00pm
Guests with tickets for the Viewing Suite may enter at any time.
Children under 10 years of age cannot be admitted.
Pre-ordered gowns, including hoods and mortar boards will be available for collection on the day of your ceremony. See the gowns page for more details.
Professional Photography will be available on the day. Please see the photography page for more details.
Flash photography within the Logan Hall is prohibited by the London Borough of Camden and unauthorised video recording of the graduation ceremony is strictly prohibited.
- At Registration you will be given a card with your name and seat number on it to show to the checker at the bottom of the steps leading to the platform. Without this card you cannot be presented. A check will then be made to ensure that you are in your proper place for presentation. The names of graduates who are not present to receive their cards will be removed from the list of graduands.
- You will be told when to leave your seat and proceed to the platform for presentation. Once your name is read out, walk to the middle of the platform and shake hands with the President. Then proceed to the far side of the platform and follow your line of graduands back to your seat.
- Guests and graduands are requested to stand when the platform Procession enters and leaves the Hall. You are also requested to remain standing until the last member of the Procession has left the Hall. You will then be led from the Hall by the Bedell at the end of the ceremony. The Ceremony lasts approximately two hours.
After the ceremony, graduates and their guests will make their way out of the building to the Meet and Greet area which is located in the area between the Institute of Education and SOAS.
SOAS does not present degree certificates at the graduation ceremonies, they are distributed later and are posted to your home address.
If you have any queries regarding your SOAS degree certificate or have not received it within six months of your date of award, please contact the Registry.
To guarantee you receive your certificate at the correct address it is important you inform the Registry of any changes.
After the ceremony we ask that graduands and guests meet up in the designated Meet and Greet area which is outside of the Institute of Education in the area between the IOE and SOAS.
Graduates, guests and staff members are invited to Torrington Square, between Birkbeck and the Main College Building, for the reception, the price of which is included in your ticket. The reception will begin as soon as the ceremony finishes. Please take your ticket with you and ensure that you are wearing your wrist band to gain access to the reception.
We try to provide an inclusive selection of food which is clearly marked. If you have any allergy concerns, please consult with one of the waiting staff.
Please see the Access Guide for more information.
SOAS Merchandise will be available from a stall outside the main SOAS Main College Building following each ceremony. Other merchandise is available from the Students' Union shop, situated on the ground level of the main College Building.
Order a copy of your ceremony DVD on the day. Alternatively, it can be purchased online before or after the ceremony. Please see 'Graduation DVD' page for more details.
Class of 2014!
Congratulations on becoming a 2014 SOAS graduate! Your studies at SOAS may be over, but you have automatically joined a life-long network of over 58,000 SOAS alumni, spread across the world. The Alumni Relations team will be present at all the ceremonies to welcome you into the global alumni network.
On graduation day, make sure you meet a member of the team and share your up-to-date contact details, so that you can visit the alumni photo booth and take advantage of a wide range of benefits:
- Keep informed of the latest events in your region to network, socialise and intellectualise with fellow alumni and SOAS academics, both on campus and worldwide
- Connect with and stay in touch with fellow alumni with your SOAS email with an alumni email account and on-campus WiFi access
- Update your details and access unique alumni benefits and discounts including access to Sage, JSTOR and ProjectMuse
- Find out how you can get involved and volunteer at SOAS with a range of initiatives that include speaking to current students about your work experience, becoming an alumni contact in your part of the world, and sharing your expertise with fellow alumni
- Stay connected with news from in and around SOAS with monthly e-bulletins and "SOAS World" the annual alumni magazine
You can also purchase special graduation merchandise (including the popular SOAS graduation hoodie with your name printed on), and the SOAS Class of 2014 Yearbook will be on sale too.
Whatever your plans and wherever life may take you after graduation, we look forward to helping you to stay connected with SOAS through you alumni network.
- Proof of gown hire order with Ede & Ravenscroft.
- Hair grips for securing mortar board
- Safety pins for securing your hood