This section of the Human Resources Directorate website contains information for managers and administrators relating to fractional staff.
- A statement of principles relating to all aspects of the employment of fractional staff in Faculties.
- Includes fractional calculations (multipliers and plain-time), contracts of employment, variations of contracts, objective justification, grading issues.
- This Policy has undergone successful undergoing consultation with UCU in 2013; however two sections remained under discussion with UCU:
- Additional office hours payments (sections 7 and 8) - following a request from UCU to extend additional office hours payments to G7 staff with large lecture groups
- Fixed-term policy and objective justifications (section 17) - UCU have requested a review of the objective justifications used at SOAS and this review is currently being undertaken at Joint Negotiation and Consultation Committee (JNCC - SOAS, UCU and UNISON) meetings.
- The Policy has subsequently been updated to reflect improved terms and conditions for faculty fractional staff; this version of the Policy will be undergoing further consultation with UCU at JNCC.
- Includes an overview of procedures for the appointment of fractional teachers and information on variations of contracts and leavers.
- Guidelines explaining various aspects of fractional employment
- Includes recruitment, termination, calculations including examples, procedural advice, contract variations, Graduate Teaching Assistants, advice on using the various fractional forms, performance management.
- Forms specifically relating to fractional employment
- Generic job descriptions for fractional teachers
- A copy of an update given by Peter Mitchell, HR Director to Heads of Department on the 8 May 2013 HoDs Forum
- Service level agreement setting out responsibilities and performance standards for fractional teachers for HR, Payroll and faculties/IFCELS.