Pre-sessional Course FAQs
Frequently asked questions
For more information about the course please look at the following ‘frequently asked questions’. For more information about visas and accommodation for the pre-sessionals, click here
1. Why have I been asked to do this course as a condition of my entry to my degree course?
Because your IELTS/TOEFL score is not high enough to enter directly
2. I haven't got time to do the 8 week course. Can I take the shorter course?
No. The English language assessments for each pre-sessional course are different for each course.
3. Will I automatically gain entrance to my SOAS course if I take this pre sessional course?
No. You have to complete the minimum attendance requirement and pass the final writing and oral presentation tasks to pass the pre-sessional. However, most students do achieve this.
4. If my level is below the pass standard will I be told during the course?
Yes. You will have ongoing feedback and advice from your teacher.
5. Will I get a certificate at the end of my course?
Yes. You will get a certificate of attendance.
6. Will I be in a class with mainly students of my nationality?
No. At SOAS we have a wide mix of nationalities in our classes.
7. What if I fail the pre-sessional course? You will have to defer for one year if you do not have a SELT score high enough to allow for direct entry
If you require any further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org