Disclosure date: 3 January 2014
Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 I seek the following information about debt collection procedures and costs at your institution.
I would like to know:
1) Does the university have a contract with a debt collection agency?
2) If yes, with what agency?
3) What is the cost and duration of this contract?
4) How many cases involving students owing money have you referred to the debt collection agency annually since 2010 (including 2013 up to the most recent records you have)?
5) What type of debt did each of these cases refer to (eg. tuition fees, accommodation costs, library fines, etc.)?
6) What number of the cases that you referred to were successful in retrieving the entirety of the amount owed?
2) STA International & FCM Ltd
3) There is no cost; duration is ongoing.
No cost to the contract itself but there are charges for each recovery process
- Commission on monies recovered
- Case preparation fees
- Trace fees
- Legal recovery charges
5) They were all related to either tuition fees or commercial debt.