Disclosure date: 16 April 2014
Please provide data, in Excel or equivalent spreadsheet format, on funding for Home/EU postgraduate students at your institution for each academic year from 2002/03 until the latest available.
The data should include the total number of Home/EU students on postgraduate courses at the beginning of each cycle broken down by (a) the institution’s highest-level academic division (e.g. Faculty/School); (b) whether they are at Masters or Doctoral level (including subdivision for Taught/Research Masters students and those in the Masters year of an enhanced undergraduate course, e.g. an MEng); (c) whether they are full- or part-time; and (d) their funding status. A detailed breakdown for the latter is provided below:
1. research council studentship;
2. internal institutional funding of roughly equivalent value (maintenance payment at least 90% of relevant research council rate per year + fee waiver);
3. funding from an external partner (commercial or otherwise) of roughly equivalent value (as above);
4. other funding (internal or external) worth at least 50% of relevant research council rate per year + fees;
5. other funding worth less than 50% of relevant research council rate per year + fees;
6. fee waiver/fee award only;
7. total funding per year (i.e. including fee discounts) worth less than a fee waiver;
8. entirely self-funded (excluding small discretionary awards for research expenses, etc.).
If it is not possible to provide data that fits precisely in these categories, please provide the closest approximation possible. What I’m primarily interested in is the gap, if any, between available funding for Masters and PhDs, and particularly the ratio of research council studentships to internal and external awards of equivalent value.
I contacted you on 1 April to let you know that your request would exceed the FOI appropriate limit of £450; suggest what information we could provide within the appropriate limit; and offer you the chance to reduce the scope of your request so it could be answered within the £450 threshold.
You responded on 1 April, stating that you were content with our proposed approach:
We could answer question 1 and the parts of other questions (2, 4/5 as one answer, 6) relating to internal funding from 2008 - we hold the Research Student information but we would have to compile the Master's Student information. We would not be able to split partial funding by percentages in the time.
Please now find attached a spreadsheet with data on Research and Masters students who had funding through scholarships, fee waivers and sponsorships administered by SOAS over five years. In order to answer the question within the FOI appropriate limit, we have added Masters details to the Research student details already gathered for 2008/09 – 2012/13. The spreadsheet answers questions 1, 2 and 6, and the aspects of 3, 4, 5 and 7 that we can answer.
To provide the context, the Postgraduate Research (PGR) and Postgraduate Taught (PGT) population numbers for 2008/09 – 2012/13 are as follows: