SOAS Studies in Modern and Contemporary Japan
SERIES EDITOR: Christopher Gerteis (SOAS, University of London)
EDITORIAL BOARD: Stephen Dodd (SOAS, University of London) I Andrew Gerstle (SOAS, University of London) I Janet Hunter (London School of Economics) I Helen Macnaughtan (SOAS, University of London) I Timon Screech (SOAS, University of London) I Naoko Shimazu (Birkbeck, University of London)
The SOAS Studies in Modern and Contemporary Japan series features new research monographs as well as translations of scholarship not previously available in English. Our goal is to publish high quality, peer-reviewed research on Japan and its history, politics and culture.
For more information: www.bloomsbury.com/soasstudies/
Forthcoming works include:
By: Jan Bardsley
Examining the shifting personae of the housewife, especially in the appealing texts of women’s magazines, Women and Democracy in Cold War Japan reveals the diverse possibilities of postwar democracy as they were embedded in media directed toward Japanese women.
By: Emily Anderson
Christianity and Imperialism in Modern Japan explores how Japanese Protestants engaged with the unsettling changes that resulted from Japan's emergence as a world power in the early twentieth century.
- The China Problem in Postwar Japan, Robert Hoppens, (University of Texas Pan-American, USA) 2015
- Media, Propaganda and Politics in 20th-Century Japan, The Asahi Shimbun Company, 2015
- Contemporary Sino-Japanese Relations on Screen, Griseldis Kirsch (SOAS, University of London, UK), 2015
- Japanese Taiwan, Andrew Morris (California Polytechnic State University, USA), 2015
- Politics and Power in 20th Century Japan, Timothy S. George (University of Rhode Island, USA) 2015
- The Self-Defense Forces and Civil Society in Postwar Japan,Tomoyuki Sasaki (Eastern Michigan University, USA), 2015
- Japan as a Maritime Power, Paul Midford (Norwegian University for Science and Technology, Norway), 2015
We welcome proposals for new books in the series. If you would like to discuss contributing, please get in touch with the series editor at email@example.com