[skip to content]

International Students

Information for Prospective Students from the Republic of Korea

Republic of South Korea Flag

Welcome to the country page for the Republic of Korea. This page contains specific information for students from Korea.


Laura Hayes is the International Officer for the Republic of Korea and is happy to answer questions you may have about applying to, and studying at SOAS. 

Email: l.hayes@soas.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4031

Laura regularly visits Korea to attend education fairs, visit schools and universities and to meet with students interested in studying at SOAS. Further information on upcoming visits can be found on the Meet SOAS staff in your Area page.

Minimum Entry Requirements 


The Korean High School leaving certificate is not sufficient for entry to a SOAS undergraduate degree. The International Foundation Courses and English Language Studies Centre (IFCELS) at SOAS offer a preparatory year for international students seeking entry to undergraduate degrees at British universities. Applicants offering either ‘A’ levels or the IB Diploma will also be considered.


SOAS welcomes applications from those with a Masters degree.  Applicants with a Bachelors degree may also be considered if they have extensive relevant work experience.

Foundation Courses

Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree, could consider applying for one of the foundation degrees offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre.  Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.

English Language Proficiency 

Applicants whose first language is not English must also show their level of English and there is more information about English language requirements. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study. 

Student Exchange 

SOAS has exchange agreements with a number of universities in Korea through which undergraduate students can study for one year at SOAS as part of their degree. In the first instance students should speak to the exchanges or international office in their university for application details. If your university does not have an exchange agreement with SOAS then you can still apply to spend one semester or one year at SOAS as part of your undergraduate degree on the 'Study Abroad' programme. Further information and an application form can be found on the Semester Abroad pages or please contact studyabroad@soas.ac.uk

In-Country Representatives 

Atlas International

7F Shinseung bldg
1676 1 Seocho1 Dong
Seocho Gu
Tel: +82 2 5400 747
Email: atlas@atlaskorea.com


11F, Julguhwun Building
18-55 Changchun-dong
Tel: 02 2562 5091
Email: bkkim@edmedu.com

UK Education Network (UKEN)
6F Hyunseok Bldg
897-2 Daechi-dong
Tel: 02 2052 1221
Email: uken@uken.co.kr

Rm 402 Namyoung Bldg.
809-8 Yeoksamdong
South Korea
Tel: 02 6052 1020 
Email: info@ukcentre.co.kr

1608 Lg Palace Building
Dongkyo Dong
165-8 Mapo-Ku
Tel: 02 3143 0226/0252/0380
Email: seoul@ukeducation.co.kr


SOAS offers a range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. There are other scholarships provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations. For further information please visit the Scholarships web page.

Employment Opportunities

If you apply for a visa before you arrive in the UK then you should be eligible to work part-time or volunteer during your programme of study. This visa will allow you to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. However, you should check before you apply for a job that your visa will allow you to do this particular kind of work.
Please be aware that to meet immigration rules for students, you have to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies without needing to work. For comprehensive advice on working in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website.

SOAS Careers Service

The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation.
There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.


If you would like to speak to an alum of Korea with any questions about studying at SOAS then you can contact Dr Yeonok Chang (PhD Musicology 2000), yonokchang@yahoo.co.uk

Useful Links