Centre of Korean Studies Events
The events draw a varied audience with an interest in the region.
All events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further information contact the Centres and Programmes Office
Please note that every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on the website is as accurate as possible. We cannot guarantee, however, that subsequent changes have not been made. Please be advised to check information relating to scheduled events by using the contact information provided.
- Buddhism in contemporary South-Korean society
Dr Florence Galmiche (Assistant Professor Department of East Asian Studies, Paris-Diderot University)
- One Fine Day: Korean Short Film and Media Art in London
Ingeun Kim (Director, Royal College of Art) / Sukho Yun (Director of Winter Sonata)
- Twelve gasa poetry in the context of Korean literature development: re-thinking the approach (“A Plum-blossom”poem)
Dr Anastasia Guryeva (Senior lecturer at Faculty of Asian and African Studies, Saint Petersburg State University)
- The Good, the Bad, and the Repatriated: Koreans in Transwar Shandong, 1940-1947
Konrad Lawson (University of St. Andrews)
- Gangnam Style?: Plastic Surgery and Biopolitics in South Korea
Dr So Yeon Leem (Sociology, LSE)
- Love, Korean Style! Drama and the Korean Wave
Director Yun Seokho (Winter Sonata & SOAS Visiting Scholar)
- Iryǒn as a historian
Miriam Löwensteinová Miriam Löwensteinová (Associate Professor, Charles University Prague, Institute of EA Studies, Czech Republic)
This event has been cancelled.
- An Analysis of the Text Structures of Cheonjugasa from the Linguistic Perspective
Dr Cho Wonhyong (Institut für Deutsche Sprache, Mannheim)
- Literary Event with Korean Novelist: In Conversation with Gong Ji-young
Gong Ji-young in conversation with Grace Koh
- Literary Event with Korean Novelist - Border States and Mother Tongues: An Evening with Bae Suah
Bae Suah with Deborah Smith & Kate Griffin
- A crisis in democracy and a role of progressive parties in Korea
Hoechan Roh (former president of Justice Party in Korea)
The talk will be in Korean.
- K-Drama Week: Global Korean Wave Seminar
Yun-ho Yang (Director)
- Assorted Chatter about Mr.Y's Literature
Byoung Yoong KANG (Writer & Assistant Professor, Department of Asian and African Studies, University of Ljubljana)
- How do we know what we think we know about North Korea?: The use of records from the archives of Pyongyang's former communist allies to challenge the received wisdom.
James Person (Coordinator of the North Korea International Documentation Project, Wilson Center, Washington DC, USA)
- Hwang Byungki: Traditional Music and the Contemporary Composer in the Republic of Korea
Andrew Killick (University of Sheffield)
- Security Challenges in Northeast Asia
Ambassador Sungnam Lim
With an introduction by Professor Paul Webley, Director of SOAS, University of London
- Succession Politics and Commemorative Culture in North Korea
Dr Adam Cathcart (University of Leeds)
- The making of the North Korean working class: class formation and capitalist development at the Hungnam Chemical Complex, 1930-1960
Dr Owen Miller (SOAS, University of London)
- Why Performance in Authoritarian Korea?
Joan Kee, University of Michigan/Tate Research Centre: Asia-Pacific
- The Translations of James Scarth Gale, a Canadian Missionary in Korea, 1888-1929
Professor Bruce Fulton (University of British Columbia, Vancouver)