Accelerated Arabic (Modern Standard) Stage 2
A one-year evening course in Modern Standard Arabic for upper intermediate & advanced learners who have completed Accelerated Arabic Stage 1 or equivalent
Duration: A total of 120 hours over three terms
Mode of Attendance: Part Time Evening
The course is aimed at completing the upper intermediate and advanced levels over three terms and is reasonably fast paced. It is designed to improve the skills of communicating in Modern Standard Arabic acquired on the beginners course or similar courses.
Having completed this course, students should be able to:
- Form and understand a wider range of sentence structures of Arabic;
- Read texts on familiar topics and understand the main ideas with/without using the dictionary;
- Speak about themselves and their environment, carry out transactions, and initiate and sustain conversations on a number of familiar topics;
- Carry out written transactions connected to daily life and simple correspondence
Over three terms, students can expect to complete the upper intermediate and advanced levels according to the following schedule:
Term 1 = Upper Intermediate Terms 1 and 2
Term 2 = Upper Intermediate Term 3 and Advanced Term 1
Term 3 = Advanced Terms 2 and 3
Entry to the course is by assessment only. Applicants must contact the Language Centre to arrange for an assessment at least 3 weeks before the beginning of the term.
Classes will be held at the Bloomsbury or Kings Cross Campus of SOAS in central London on two evenings a week. Participants receive 40 hours of language tuition over each ten-week term (with additional weeks where public holidays displace a class session).
Language Centre How To Apply
You can enrol:
- online via our online store
- in person by filling out a form in the Language Centre
- by post by sending an Application Form (pdf; 462kb) to our office address
- Please read our Terms and Conditions before applying for a course
- We cannot accept cash payments under any circumstances
Not a complete beginner?
If you are not a complete beginner, you will need to complete an assessment for course placement, allowing us to decide which course is right for you.
To apply for an assessment please complete our Needs Analysis Form (pdf; 187kb) and send to the relevant email inbox where a Course Officer will contact you for scheduling.
Course Fees and Discounted Rates
An overview of our Short Course Fees and Discounted Rates.
If you are eligible for a discount, you will not be able to complete your transaction on the Online Store. You will need to bring a paper Application Form (pdf; 462kb) , including your Staff/Student card for us to make a copy of, after which we can process your application at the discounted rate.
If you are a returning student, you will have received a letter informing you of the procedures for rejoining prior to the start of the registration period. You can pay using any method indicated above. Returning students, if they are continuing onto the course indicated as the progression course, do not need to be assessed.