- One-year course with 3 terms, 10 weeks per term, 2 hours per week
SOAS Language Centre
Arabic (Modern Standard) Proficiency Course
2016 Entry requirements
- Fees and funding
Mode of Attendance: Part-time
This course at SOAS Language Centre in London aims to reinforce the skills of communicating in Modern Standard Arabic acquired on the Advanced course or similar courses. Having completed the course learners should be able to:
- initiate and sustain discussion of topics of general interest;
- understand the main points of any non-technical text;
- carry out basic research: identify important sources and understand main ideas;
- understand the general ideas of lectures on familiar topics;
- write essays and opinion pieces on a wide variety of topics.
The course is taught in English and Arabic and includes coverage of the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing and a good balance between understanding the systems of Arabic grammar and vocabulary, developing the skills of comprehending and producing Arabicin speech and writing, guided practice in language usage and use and authentic communicative activities. Class size is limited to fifteen to allow intensive interactive practice with individual feedback and advice on progress.
MaterialsOur course materials page shows you what you need to buy for this course. Course materials are not included in the course fee and can be purchased from the SOAS bookshop firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees and funding
Course fees quoted are per term of 10 weeks.
Language Centre How To Apply)Language Centre How To Apply)
You can view our short course timetables here.
You can enrol:
- online via our online store
- in person by filling out a form in the Language Centre
- by post by sending an Application Form (pdf; 107kb) to our office address
- Please read our Terms and Conditions before applying for a course
- We cannot accept cash payments under any circumstances
Not a complete beginner?
If you are not a complete beginner, you will need to complete an assessment for course placement, allowing us to decide which course is right for you.
To apply for an assessment please complete our Needs Analysis Form (pdf; 33kb) and send to the relevant email inbox where a Course Officer will contact you for scheduling.
Course Fees and Discounted Rates
An overview of our Short Course Fees and Discounted Rates.
If you are eligible for a discount, you will not be able to complete your transaction on the Online Store. You will need to bring a paper Application Form (pdf; 107kb) , including your Staff/Student card for us to make a copy of, after which we can process your application at the discounted rate.
If you are a returning student, you will have received a letter informing you of the procedures for rejoining prior to the start of the registration period. You can pay using any method indicated above. Returning students, if they are continuing onto the course indicated as the progression course, do not need to be assessed.)