Introduction to Khmer Course
Duration: One-year course with 3 terms, 10 weeks per term, 2 hours per week
Mode of Attendance: Part-time
Fees: Course fees quoted are per term of 10 weeks.
This SOAS Language Centre course in Khmer is designed to give participants a basic reading, writing and conversational ability in the language. The course takes the form of situational contexts in which participants will be asked to understand what is taking place around them and to respond in comprehensible and clear Khmer.
The course is taught in English and Khmer. Class size is limited to fifteen to allow intensive practice.
Summary of course contents (by session)
- Introduction to Khmer pronunciation
- Greeting people; introducing oneself and others
- Giving and requesting basic information
- Asking for things and asking questions
- Mid-term consolidation of speaking and reading
- Numbers, the calendar, seasons and festivals
- Language, countries, nationalities
- Food and drink; likes and dislikes
- Reading and writing exercises
- End of term consolidation of speaking and reading
Continuing your study
Subject to demand, the Language Centre may be able to schedule Introduction to Khmer 2 later in the academic year. Reading, writing, speaking and comprehension skills continue to be developed, allowing students to progress with confidence. Please keep an eye on the Language Centre website for further details.
Details of study materials will be available shortly
Language Centre How To Apply
You can view our short course timetables here.
You can enrol:
- online via our online store
- in person by filling out a form in the Language Centre
- by post by sending an Application Form (pdf; 35kb) to our office address
- Please read our Terms and Conditions before applying for a course
- We cannot accept cash payments under any circumstances
Not a complete beginner?
If you are not a complete beginner, you will need to complete an assessment for course placement, allowing us to decide which course is right for you.
To apply for an assessment please complete our Needs Analysis Form (pdf; 187kb) and send to the relevant email inbox where a Course Officer will contact you for scheduling.
Course Fees and Discounted Rates
An overview of our Short Course Fees and Discounted Rates.
If you are eligible for a discount, you will not be able to complete your transaction on the Online Store. You will need to bring a paper Application Form (pdf; 35kb) , including your Staff/Student card for us to make a copy of, after which we can process your application at the discounted rate.
If you are a returning student, you will have received a letter informing you of the procedures for rejoining prior to the start of the registration period. You can pay using any method indicated above. Returning students, if they are continuing onto the course indicated as the progression course, do not need to be assessed.