TOPIK Preparatory Course
Duration: Beginners: 10 hours (2 hours per week over 5 weeks). Intermediate: 10 hours (2 hours per week over 5 weeks)
Mode of Attendance: Full-time
Fees: Course fees quoted are per term of 10 weeks.
- designed to assess a learner's level of Korean language proficiency. It takes place once a year, around April in the UK.
- for learners of Korean as a second or foreign language, or overseas Korean residents who wish to use their results to gain admission into Korean universities or employment in Korean enterprises at home or abroad.
- divided into 6 levels, Beginners (Level 1-2), Intermediate (Level 3-4) and Advanced (Level 5-6), and consists of 4 sections: Vocabulary/Grammar, Writing, Listening and Reading
- is managed and sponsored by the Korea Institute of Curriculum and Evaluation (KICE). In the UK the test is hosted and administered by the Korean Education Centre at the Embassy of the Republic of Korea.
For more details about the test, visit the TOPIK website
To apply for the test, see the pages of the Korean Education Centre
Aims of the course
This course is designed to help TOPIK candidates to prepare for the test with exam techniques and by going through past papers.
Classes are intended for revision. Participants should already have studied sufficient Korean to cover the syllabus requirements of the examination at their chosen level.
The course is taught in English and Korean Language and includes coverage of the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing and a good balance between understanding the systems of Korean Language grammar and vocabulary, developing the skills of comprehending and producing Korean Language in speech and writing, guided practice in language usage and use and authentic communicative activities. Class size is limited to fifteen to allow intensive interactive practice with individual feedback and advice on progress.
- Going through a range of instructions written in Korean.
- Going through past exam papers in areas such as Grammar & Vocabulary, Writing, Listening and Reading.
Students at intermediate level (who have completed beginners level at SOAS Language Centre or elsewhere) can enrol for Beginners level.
Students at Upper intermediate or Advanced level can enrol for the Intermediate level preparation course. If you are not sure about your level, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Past exam papers will be given out in the class.
See here the Korean Course Materials
Language Centre How To Apply
You can enrol:
- online via our online store
- in person by filling out a form in the Language Centre
- by post by sending an Application Form (pdf; 35kb) to our office address
- Please read our Terms and Conditions before applying for a course
- We cannot accept cash payments under any circumstances
Not a complete beginner?
If you are not a complete beginner, you will need to complete an assessment for course placement, allowing us to decide which course is right for you.
To apply for an assessment please complete our Needs Analysis Form (pdf; 187kb) and send to the relevant email inbox where a Course Officer will contact you for scheduling.
Course Fees and Discounted Rates
An overview of our Short Course Fees and Discounted Rates.
If you are eligible for a discount, you will not be able to complete your transaction on the Online Store. You will need to bring a paper Application Form (pdf; 35kb) , including your Staff/Student card for us to make a copy of, after which we can process your application at the discounted rate.
If you are a returning student, you will have received a letter informing you of the procedures for rejoining prior to the start of the registration period. You can pay using any method indicated above. Returning students, if they are continuing onto the course indicated as the progression course, do not need to be assessed.