Introduction to Mongolian (Khalkha)
A 10-week course aimed at those who wish to acquire a basic conversational ability in everyday spoken Mongolian
Duration: 20 hours (2 hours a week for 10 weeks)
Mode of Attendance: Part Time
This SOAS Language Centre course in Mongolian (Khalkha) is designed to give participants a basic reading, writing and conversational ability in the language. The course takes the form of learning the Cyrillic alphabet and of a series of situational contexts in which participants will be asked to understand what is taking place around them and to respond in comprehensible and clear Mongolian.
The course is taught in English and Mongolian. Class size is limited to fifteen to allow intensive practice.
Summary of course contents (by session)
- Introduction to the Cyrillic alphabet and to pronunciation
- Greeting people; introducing oneself and others
- Giving and requesting basic information
- Asking for things and asking questions
- Mid-term consolidation of speaking and reading
- Numbers, the calendar, seasons and festivals
- Language, countries, nationalities
- Food and drink; likes and dislikes
- Reading and writing exercises
- End of term consolidation of speaking and reading
Continuing your study
Subject to demand, the Language Centre may be able to schedule Introduction to Mongolian (Khalkha) 2 later in the academic year. Reading, writing, speaking and comprehension skills continue to be developed, allowing students to progress with confidence. Please keep an eye on the Language Centre website for further details.
The text that has been prescribed for the course is as follows:
Sanders, A. & Jantsangiin, B. (2007). Colloquial Mongolian (+ audio CD). Routledge.
Course materials are not included in the course fee and can be purchased from the SOAS Bookshop email@example.com You are advised not to purchase course materials until the course has been confirmed.
The course is taught in a group with a maximum of 15 students. Classes will be held at the Bloomsbury or Kings Cross Campus of SOAS in central London. Participants receive 20 hours of tuition over a 10-week period (with additional weeks where public holidays displace a session).
Language Centre How To Apply
You can enrol:
- online via our online store
- in person by filling out a form in the Language Centre
- by post by sending an Application Form (pdf; 462kb) to our office address
- Please read our Terms and Conditions before applying for a course
- We cannot accept cash payments under any circumstances
Not a complete beginner?
If you are not a complete beginner, you will need to complete an assessment for course placement, allowing us to decide which course is right for you.
To apply for an assessment please complete our Needs Analysis Form (pdf; 187kb) and send to the relevant email inbox where a Course Officer will contact you for scheduling.
Course Fees and Discounted Rates
An overview of our Short Course Fees and Discounted Rates.
If you are eligible for a discount, you will not be able to complete your transaction on the Online Store. You will need to bring a paper Application Form (pdf; 462kb) , including your Staff/Student card for us to make a copy of, after which we can process your application at the discounted rate.
If you are a returning student, you will have received a letter informing you of the procedures for rejoining prior to the start of the registration period. You can pay using any method indicated above. Returning students, if they are continuing onto the course indicated as the progression course, do not need to be assessed.