Panjabi Beginners Course
Duration: One-year course with 3 terms, 10 weeks per term, 2 hours per week
Mode of Attendance: Part-time
Fees: Course fees quoted are per term of 10 weeks.
This SOAS Language Centre course in Panjabi is designed to give participants a basic conversational ability in the language. The course takes the form of a series of situation contexts in which participants will be asked to understand what is taking place around them and to respond in comprehensible and clear Panjabi. Students will be introduced to the Gurmukhi script from the outset and encouraged to learn to read and write Panjabi alongside developing confidence in pronunciation and in oral comprehension skills.
The course is taught in English and Panjabi. Class size is limited to fifteen to allow intensive practice.
Summary of course contents
• Introduction to Panjabi; greetings
• Asking about others; exploring number and gender
• Informal conversation; plural forms
• Talking about nationality; the present tense
• Further conversation; investigating nouns and adjectives
• Describing tastes and flavours; interrogatives
• Discussing work and home; prepositions
• Kinship and family; oblique forms and the present continuous tense
• Making requests; the imperative and the past continuous tense
• Interrogative and negative sentences
Continuing your study
Subject to student demand, the Language Centre may be able to offer an Introduction to Panjabi (Part 2) later in the academic year. The Gurmukhi script will continue to be used, and speaking and comprehension skills developed. Please keep an eye on the Language Centre website for further details as they become available.
Syllabus to be confirmed.
Course materials, if not supplied, are not included in the fee but can be purchased from SOAS bookshop email@example.com. Please see under the syllabus tab for course content and materials.
Language Centre How To Apply
You can view our short course timetables here.
You can enrol:
- online via our online store
- in person by filling out a form in the Language Centre
- by post by sending an Application Form (pdf; 107kb) to our office address
- Please read our Terms and Conditions before applying for a course
- We cannot accept cash payments under any circumstances
Not a complete beginner?
If you are not a complete beginner, you will need to complete an assessment for course placement, allowing us to decide which course is right for you.
To apply for an assessment please complete our Needs Analysis Form (pdf; 33kb) and send to the relevant email inbox where a Course Officer will contact you for scheduling.
Course Fees and Discounted Rates
An overview of our Short Course Fees and Discounted Rates.
If you are eligible for a discount, you will not be able to complete your transaction on the Online Store. You will need to bring a paper Application Form (pdf; 107kb) , including your Staff/Student card for us to make a copy of, after which we can process your application at the discounted rate.
If you are a returning student, you will have received a letter informing you of the procedures for rejoining prior to the start of the registration period. You can pay using any method indicated above. Returning students, if they are continuing onto the course indicated as the progression course, do not need to be assessed.