Introduction to Pashto (Afghan)
A 10-week course aimed at those who wish to understand and to make themselves understood in everyday spoken Pashto of Afghanistan
Duration: 20 hours part time
Mode of Attendance: Part Time
This SOAS Language Centre course in Pashto is designed to give participants a basic conversational ability in the language. The course takes the form of a series of situation contexts in which participants will be asked to understand what is taking place around them and to respond in comprehensible and clear Pashto.
The course is taught in English and Pashto. Class size is normally limited to fifteen to allow close involvement.
Summary of course contents (by session)
- Introduction to the Pashto language
- The Pashto alphabet and pronunciation of sounds
- Greetings and responses
- Introducing oneself and others
- Asking for and sharing information
- Vocabulary building and basic grammar
- Numbers; telling time; days of the week; the calendar
- Getting around and asking for directions (1)
- Getting around and asking for directions (2): role play
- Culture points: food; customs; social etiquette
Continuing your study
Subject to demand, the Language Centre will schedule an Introduction to Pashto (Afghan) 2. The Pashto script will be incorporated gradually into this course, whilst speaking and comprehension skills continue to be developed, allowing students to make the transition to Pashto script with confidence.
MaterialsCourse materials are not included in the course fee and can be purchased from the SOAS bookshop firstname.lastname@example.org. You are advised not to purchase course materials until your course has been confirmed.
Classes will be held at the Bloomsbury or Kings Cross Campus of SOAS in central London on one evening a week or Saturday daytime. Participants receive 20 hours of language tuition over a ten-week period (with additional weeks where public holidays displace a class session).
Language Centre How To Apply
You can enrol:
- online via our online store
- in person by filling out a form in the Language Centre
- by post by sending an Application Form (pdf; 39kb) to our office address
- Please read our Terms and Conditions before applying for a course
- We cannot accept cash payments under any circumstances
Not a complete beginner?
If you are not a complete beginner, you will need to complete an assessment for course placement, allowing us to decide which course is right for you.
To apply for an assessment please complete our Needs Analysis Form (pdf; 187kb) and send to the relevant email inbox where a Course Officer will contact you for scheduling.
Course Fees and Discounted Rates
An overview of our Short Course Fees and Discounted Rates.
If you are eligible for a discount, you will not be able to complete your transaction on the Online Store. You will need to bring a paper Application Form (pdf; 39kb) , including your Staff/Student card for us to make a copy of, after which we can process your application at the discounted rate.
If you are a returning student, you will have received a letter informing you of the procedures for rejoining prior to the start of the registration period. You can pay using any method indicated above. Returning students, if they are continuing onto the course indicated as the progression course, do not need to be assessed.