The Language Study Room - E26 in SOAS Library
Location: Room E26 in SOAS Library
You need your SOAS ID card to gain entry to the Library.
The Language Resources Room has now closed at Vernon Square.
Materials in SOAS Library
SOAS Library provides a wide variety of materials for many Asian and African languages, including: reference titles, complete coursebooks with audio and visual components for the development of all skills, off-air recordings and films, live satellite TV, children’s materials, exam practice materials. Materials from the former Language Resources Room at Vernon Square are now being ingested into the Library.
Equipment in the Language Study Room
- PCs with access to external online learning resources and our on-line repository, word-processing for languages using non-Roman scripts. See our page of external online learning resources for all SOAS languages.
- Easy-to-use record and playback software to practise pronunciation and tones.
- TVs with video and DVD players where you can watch live satellite TV, recorded news, films, documentaries, soaps and other programmes. See the SOAS Cable TV and Radio Channels page accessible within SOAS buildings.
The Language Study Room is an invaluable part of your language learning experience at SOAS.
Its aims are:
- To complement your classroom learning
- To provide opportunities for independent language learning
- To provide you with learning materials that will help you fulfil your individual learning goals
- To provide materials that suit our learners’ different learning styles
- To help you immerse into the culture of your target language by providing relevant resources, e.g. satellite TV
- To give you opportunities to develop all language skills, in particular listening comprehension and pronunciation
- To create a learning space where you can work at your own pace, experiment, strengthen or learn new skills, some of them transferable to other learning situations, and reflect on your learning process.