Online course sign-up - for courses to be studied in 2015/16
My Course selections
- Students must select their courses from an on-line system which guides them to the course choices within their programme of study.
- This can be done on any PC with internet access.
- The system will be available from 10am, Monday 16th March 2015
- The deadline for making your final choices is 5pm, Friday 24th April 2015
Logging in to Course Sign Up
- Log in to the Course Sign-Up system
- Please use Internet Explorer as your web browser
- Input your 6-digit SOAS student reference number and your network password (case sensitive). For any logging in problems please contact: email@example.com
- This will take you to the Course Sign Up page. You should see your Programme of Study and the year into which you will be going in September 2015. If you have logged in and do not see the correct Programme of Study and year, please contact your Faculty Office
How to Choose your Courses in Course Sign Up
To see an expanded list of courses, click on the Show Courses button at each level. The courses available are grouped in the following ways:
- Core/compulsory courses: These selections cannot be changed.
- Optional courses: These are courses which the programme specification asks you to choose from.
- Open Options: These are courses (usually in other departments from your own) which you can choose from.
- It is recommended that you work your way down the groups as they are presented on the page as this has been structured to correspond to the information given on the programme web pages
- Tick the box next to a course if you want to choose it. Please note that sometimes you have to tick in a 'group' box above a list of courses in order to select them. This applies to groups of open options courses in particular.
- Every year of Full-time study is composed of courses which add up to the value of 4 units. Full-year course are usually valued at 1 unit and Term 1 or Term 2 only courses valued at 0.5 (or 0.4) units. Once you have chosen courses worth 4 units, you will not be able to choose any more (further tick boxes will not be able to be selected).
- If you want to change a selected course, click in the box next to it to remove the tick and choose again. Note that if you have had to click the group box above the course, you will have to untick this too.
- Some courses have pre/co-requisites which need to have been taken in previous sessions or the current session. Some course will therefore not be able to be selected prior to (pre-requisites taken) or after selecting (co-requisites) certain courses.
Choice types – Saving, Abandoning, Submitting, Unsubmitting Choices
- You can Save Choices (there is a button to do this at the top and bottom of the page) and log out if you do not want to submit your choices at once. You may then log back in and complete your choices at a later date.
- You can also Abandon Choices (button at top and bottom of the page) and start choosing again. This abandons only the optional courses, not the core/compulsory courses (which cannot be changed).
- To complete Course Sign Up, check that you have a total of 4 units worth of courses, then click on the red button, Submit Choices, at the top of the page. This will lead you to a page which asks that you confirm that you wish to submit your choices. Faculty staff will then check your choices and contact you if there is a problem.
- If you mistakenly clicked Submit Choices and still require to select an additional unit you may log back in and click on the Unsubmit choices tab at the top of the page and all choices will be de-selected.
Year Abroad Students
There is no requirement for students who will be abroad in the 2016/17 academic year to select their courses online. Students who are currently abroad, but are expected to return to SOAS in 2016/17, are asked to sign-up for courses online.
The small print
Whilst SOAS cannot guarantee that all courses offered during this sign-up period will be available in the next session, every effort will be made to accommodate student choices and the number of selections made to a particular course may be used to determine this availability. The information will also be used to inform the teaching timetable. It may not be possible to guarantee that all student choices will be achievable. Please see the current timetable to obtain an idea of how lecture and tutorials may be structured.
If you have any problems with choosing courses (for example, you can't find the course you want to take or you are not sure how to use the system), contact your Faculty Office: