[skip to content]

Faculty of Languages and Cultures

Personal Advisors - Languages and Cultures Faculty

In the Languages and Cultures faculty, a member of the academic staff is assigned as a first point of reference for individual students to advise them on any personal or general academic matter. The Personal Advisor can provide an initial source of advice for pastoral and welfare matters and alert the relevant student support facilities and teachers if a student is having problems affecting their academic work.  

This system should now be in place for all first and second year students.  Students in their third and/or final year can access the same advice from their programme convenor and/or designated year tutor.  

Your Personal Advisor should have contacted in the first week of Term 1.  If you have not been contacted by a Personal Advisor by teaching week two of term one, please contact the Faculty Office, who will give you the contact details of your Personal Advisor.  Please reply and go and meet your Personal Advisor at least once, even if you do not have any problem, just to make contact. It will make it easier later if you ever have a problem and need help or direction.

Please note that for Masters Students the Personal Tutor is the MA Programme Convenor.

What you can expect from your Personal Advisor

A Personal Advisor should:

  • take an active part in helping you as a new student to settle into the School
  • contact and meet you at regular intervals throughout the academic year, either as a group or individually
  • if you are a continuing student, remind you at the beginning of each year of their interest and availability for meetings/consultations
  • assist with any personal matters that may arise and act as first point of referral to Student Support Services available in the School
  • provide continuity of pastoral and general support and guidance
  • monitor your personal and professional development
  • contribute toward the compilation of a reference, if appropriate
  • inform the Faculty Student Support Office if they feel you are giving ‘cause for care and concern’ so that any problems may be addressed