LLM in Dispute and Conflict Resolution
Duration: One calendar year (full-time)
Two/ three years (part-time, daytime only)
We recommend that part-time students have between two-and-a-half and three days a week free to pursue their course of study.
Minimum Entry Requirements: Minimum upper second class honours degree (or equivalent) in Law
Start of programme: September intake only
The LLM programme is a single subject law programme that may be taken over a period of one year (full-time), or part-time over a period of two, three or four years. Every student will be required to take courses equivalent to four full units. The assessment of one of the chosen full units (which must be from your chosen specialism) will be by means of a 15,000 word dissertation. The dissertation must be linked to a course offered at SOAS itself, and attendance on the course will be treated as being part of the process of supervision.
With permission of the LLM tutor, students will be entitled to select one complementary subject or the equivalent from comparable Master’s course at SOAS including appropriate language courses. A complementary subject may be chosen in substitution for either a full or a half-subject.
Examinations for all taught courses will be held in May/June of each year and the dissertation will be due for submission by 15th September of the final year of registration. The assessment for each course may vary according to the extent to which the research component of each course is to be stressed.
It is expected that all students will graduate with an LLM in law. It is possible, however, for students wishing to graduate with a ‘specialist’ degree, to do so by way of opting to take three or more courses from the relevant subject groupings below. In each case, the student must undertake a dissertation in that subject grouping.
Students are required to take four taught courses, one of which will be assessed by a 15,000 word dissertation. Three courses must be chosen from the list below. The fourth option may be chosen from the SOAS LLM course list or an approved language. There is also an optional pre-sessional course.
Three courses must be chosen from the following SOAS LLM course list:
- Access to justice & dispute resolution: special applications - 15PLAC157 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Alternative dispute resolution - 15PLAC104 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Foundations of Comparative Law - 15PLAH031 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Gender, Armed Conflict and International Law - 15PLAH035 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- International commercial arbitration - 15PLAC153 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- International criminal law in context - 15PLAH041 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2013/2014
- International Criminal Law in Practice - 15PLAC168 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2013/2014
- International law and international relations - 15PLAH037 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2013/2014
- International laws on the use of force - 15PLAH020 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Justice, reconciliation and reconstruction in post conflict societies - 15PLAC123 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Law and policy of international courts and tribunals - 15PLAH026 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Law, human rights and peace building: the Israeli-Palestinian case - 15PLAC133 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Procedural principles and ethical standards - 15PLAC141 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2013/2014
- The law of armed conflict - 15PLAH022 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Optional Pre-sessional Course
- Preliminary law, legal reasoning and legal methods - 15PLAC162 (0 Unit) - Term 1
Teaching & Learning
How to apply
How to apply
- How to Apply
- Online Application
- Funding options
- English language requirements
- Tuition Fees
- Admissions Contacts
Application Deadline: 2014-03-20 17:00
Application Deadline: 2014-02-28 17:00
A Student's Perspective
SOAS has a wonderful environment that encourages you to learn everywhere you go and from everyone you meet. There are always events and lectures taking place, covering social, cultural and academic interests. No matter how niche your interests may be, there is something for everyone to get involved with!