MA in Chinese Law
Duration: One calendar year (full-time); Two or three years (part-time, daytime only)
Minimum Entry Requirements: Upper second class honours preferably in a related discipline
Start of programme: September intake only
The MA in Chinese Law allows students to study Chinese law in depth, looking at areas such as foundations of Chinese Law, Commerce and Human Rights. All SOAS courses are designed not only to introduce students to the general fields of law, but also to provide an understanding of how generic legal structures and processes may operate in non-Western social and cultural settings. All teachers on courses offered at SOAS are experts in their designated field. Many have years of experience advising governments, international organisations or non-governmental organisation, and many also have been or continue to be legal practitioners.
To facilitate their study of law, all MA students are required to attend a two-week Law and Legal Methods Pre-sessional Course in the September before they begin their MA.
Students are required to take at least two (2.0) units associated with their specialised MA. The following courses are associated with the Chinese Law specialisation:
- Chinese Commercial Law - 15PLAC106 (1 Unit)
- Chinese Constitutionalism - 15PLAH043 (0.5 Unit)
- Economic Approaches to Law - 15PLAH030 (0.5 Unit)
- Foundations of Chinese Law - 15PLAH045 (0.5 Unit)
- Foundations of Comparative Law - 15PLAH031 (0.5 Unit)
- Law and Human Rights in China - 15PLAH054 (0.5 Unit)
- Law and Society in Southeast Asia - 15PLAH049 (0.5 Unit)
- Modern Chinese Law and Institutions - 15PLAC139 (1 Unit)
- Sociological Approaches to Law - 15PLAH032 (0.5 Unit)
All MA students are required to complete a Dissertation in Law - 15PLAC999 - (1 Unit)
Please note: Not all courses listed may be available every year.
How to apply
How to apply
- How to Apply
- Online Application
- Request a prospectus
- Got a question - use our enquiry form (opens a new window)
- Funding options
- English language requirements
- Tuition Fees
- Admissions Contacts
Application Deadline: 2015-05-01 17:00
A Student's Perspective
Never, have I heard or seen the world so at peace, I mean only at SOAS will you see at one and the same time debates and events in support of both Israel and Palestine happening side by side harmoniously.