HSK Chinese Proficiency Test at SOAS, University of London
SOAS: HSK Test Centre
The London Confucius Institute at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) is an official HSK Test Centre in the United Kingdom for the HSK Department of the National Office for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language of the People's Republic of China in Beijing (Hanban).
The Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK) is an official examination designed to assess the Chinese language proficiency of non-native speakers from beginners to advanced Level (divided in levels 1-6). It is an internationally recognized standard in assessing your Chinese language level and can be used as a concrete reference tool of your Chinese language skills to employers, institutions, schools and other international organisations. The HSK tests your writing, listening and reading skills.
The Hanyu Shuiping Kouyu Kaoshi (HSKK) is the oral variant of the HSK and only focuses on your oral Chinese language skills. The HSKK is divided into 3 different levels: Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced.
HSK Exam duration:
|HSK Level 1||40 minutes|
|HSK Level 2||55 minutes|
|HSK Level 3||90 minutes|
|HSK Level 4||105 minutes|
|HSK Level 5||125 minutes|
|HSK Level 6||140 minutes|
HSKK (oral) exam duration:
|HSKK Elementary||17 minutes|
|HSKK Intermediate||21 Minutes|
|HSKK Advanced||25 minutes|
HSK vocabulary requirements:
|HSK Level 1||150|
|HSK Level 2||300|
|HSK Level 3||600|
|HSK Level 4||1200|
|HSK Level 5||2500|
|HSK Level 6||Over 2500|
For more information about the HSK exam and to try the past papers, please click here.
Chinese Scholarships and HSK exam
Confucius Institute Scholarship applicants must present good HSK and HSKK exam results. Details as below:
|MA in International Education||Level 5, score 180+||Intermediate level, score 60+|
|One year scholarship||Level 3, score 180+||Elementary level, score 60+|
|One term scholarship||Level 2, score 120+||Elementary level, score 60+|
HSK Chinese Proficiency Test at SOAS (2014)
|Test Dates||Registration Deadline||Date of Results||Exams running|
|15th Feb||20th Jan||16th Mar||HSK(1,2,3)|
|15th Mar||17th Feb||16th Apr|
HSK (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
HSKK(E, I, A)
|12th Apr||16th Mar||12th May||HSK(1,2,3)|
|10th May||13th Apr||10th Jun||HSK(1,2,3)|
|14th Jun||18th May||14th Jul||HSK(1,2,3)|
|12th Jul||16th Jun||13th Aug||HSK(1,2,3)|
|13th Sep||18th Aug||14th Oct||HSK(1,2,3)|
|11th Oct||14th Sep||11th Nov|
HSKK(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
HSKK (E, I, A)
|8th Nov||12th Oct||8th Dec||HSK(1,2,3)|
|6th Dec||9th Nov||6th Jan 2015|
*Candidates for other exam dates and levels please contact:
China HSK UK Committee
124 Euston Road
London NW1 2AL
Tel: 020 7388 8818 Fax: 020 7388 8828 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The HSK exam fee includes the following: 1) registration fee and 2) exam fee
|Group candidates *||£10|
|Registered students from other Universities**||£10|
|Registered SOAS students **||FREE|
*Contact us at email@example.com for group candidates discount, if you have 5 or more candidates.
**A photocopy of a student ID is required to receive the student discount.
Only one registration fee is payable where multiple exam entries are made.
|HSK Level 1||£10|
|HSK Level 2||£20|
|HSK Level 3||£30|
|HSK Level 4||£40|
|HSK Level 5||£50|
|HSK Level 6||£60|
How to Register
You are allowed to register for up to two HSK exams (must be two levels next to each other) and one HSKK exam at each exam intake.
Please complete the registration form using capital letters, writing clearly and neatly. A copy of the student ID should be enclosed in order to be eligible for the student fee.
- Pay by cheque or bank draft
- Please calculate the total fee that you need to pay - registration fee, HSK, HSKK, Prep class, Postage.
- Payable to London Confucius Institute, SOAS, and posted to:
London Confucius Institute
SOAS, University of London
- You will receive an email to confirm your registration once the full payment is received.
- You will receive a detailed exam timetable and other exam information two weeks after the registration deadline.
- Photos: Candidates who are taking HSK 4 , 5, 6 and HSKK E, I, A. are required to provide one recent photo for each exam. i.e. if you are taking HSK and HSKK at the same time, two photos will be needed. Please write your name on the back of the photo.
- 30 days after the exam, you may visit HSK exam site here to check the result. Your admission ticket number will be needed.
- The registration fee and exam fee are non-refundable.
- Fees for the preparatory classes are refundable up to a week before the course starts.
- Changes on the exam level and exam date can be processed before the registration deadline. Changes can only be made ONCE without extra charge.
- No change can be processed after the registration deadline.
HSK Preparatory Courses
To help your preparation for HSK exams, we offer the following HSK and HSKK preparatory Courses:
- HSK preparatory lessons: £140
Includes 4 Saturday lessons, each lasts two hours
- HSKK Preparatory lessons: £70
Includes 1 introduction lesson which is 2 hours
1 hour 1:1 session (by appointment)
The size of the class will be 6-12 students. A class may be cancelled if the minimum student number cannot be reached. Dates and course levels are shown as below:
HSK Chinese Proficiency Test (2014)
|Test Dates||Deadline for course registration||Preparatory lessons (Saturdays)|
|15th February||12th January||January 18, 25, February 1, 7 HSK (1,2,3)|
|15th March||8th February|
February 15, 22, March 1, 8
HSKK (E, I, A)
|12th April||8th March|
March 15, 22, 29 and April 5
|14th June||10th May|
May 17, 24, 31 and June 7
|11th October||6th September|
September 13, 20, 27, October 4
|8th November||5th October|
October 11, 18th, 25th, November 1
|6th December||2nd November|
November 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th
HSK(1, 3, 4, 5)
HSKK ( E,I,A)