HSK Chinese Proficiency Test at SOAS, University of London
HSK Test Centre
The London Confucius Institute at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) is an official test centre in the United Kingdom for the Chinese Proficiency Tests.
The Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK) is an official examination designed to assess the Chinese language proficiency of non-native speakers from beginners to advanced Level (divided in levels 1-6). It is an internationally recognised standard in assessing your Chinese language level and the result can be used to apply for Confucius Institute Scholarship (CIS). It is also accepted by universities in China as proof of Chinese proficiency. The HSK tests include writing, listening and reading skills.
The Hanyu Shuiping Kouyu Kaoshi (HSKK) is the oral exam and focuses on oral capability. The HSKK is divided into three different levels: Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced.
We also offer YCT (Youth Chinese Test) and BCT (Business Chinese Test) exams. Please contact us for further details.
Need help preparing for the exams? We offer a range of classes to help you prepare for the HSK and HSKK exams.
HSK Exam Duration and Vocabulary Requirement
|HSK Level 1||40 minutes||150|
|HSK Level 2||55 minutes||300|
|HSK Level 3||90 minutes||600|
|HSK Level 4||105 minutes||1200|
|HSK Level 5||125 minutes||2500|
|HSK Level 6||140 minutes||5000|
HSKK (oral) Exam duration
|HSKK Elementary||17 minutes|
|HSKK Intermediate||21 Minutes|
|HSKK Advanced||25 minutes|
For more information about the HSK exam and to try the past papers, please see Chinese test.
Chinese Scholarships and HSK Exam
Confucius Institute Scholarship applicants must present good HSK and HSKK exam results. Detailed requirements (up to September 2014) as below:
|MA in International Education||Level 5, score 180+||Intermediate level, score 60+|
|One year scholarship||Level 3, score 180+||Elementary level, score 60+|
|One term scholarship||Level 2, score 120+||Elementary level, score 60+|
HSK Chinese Proficiency Test at SOAS (2014-2015)
|Test Dates||Registration Deadline||Date of Results||HSK||HSKK|
|11th Oct||14th Sep||23th Nov||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|8th Nov||12th Oct||20th Dec||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|6th Dec||9th Nov||18th (Jan 2015)||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6||HSKK E, I, A|
|31th Jan||5th Jan||18th Mar||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|28th Mar||1st Mar||28th Apr||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6||HSKK E, I, A|
|18th Apr||22nd Mar||18th May||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|16th May||19th Apr||16th Jun||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6||HSKK E, I, A|
|13th Jun||18th May||14th Jul||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|18th Jul||22nd Jun||19th Aug||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|15th Aug||20th Jul||16th Sep||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|12th Sep||17th Aug||13th Oct||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|17th Oct||20th Sep||17th Nov||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|14th Nov||18th Oct||14th Dec||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6|
|5th Dec||9th Nov||6th Jan (2016)||HSK1,2,3,4,5,6||HSKK E, I, A|
** Note the official result certificate requires additional time to be dispatched.
The total HSK/HSKK exam fee is made up of the following: 1) registration fee and 2) exam fee
|Group candidates(5 or more candidates)*||£10|
|Registered students from other Universities (Student ID requires)||£10|
|Registered SOAS students (Student ID requires) **||FREE|
Only one registration fee is payable where multiple exam entries are made on the same exam date.
You are allowed to register for up to two HSK exams (must be two consecutive levels) and one HSKK exam at each exam intake.
|HSK Level 1||£10|
|HSK Level 2||£20|
|HSK Level 3||£30|
|HSK Level 4||£40|
|HSK Level 5||£50|
|HSK Level 6||£60|
How to Register
Please complete registration PDF form (see right upper), the using capital letters, writing clearly and neatly. A copy of the student ID should be enclosed in order to be eligible for the student fee.
- Pay by cheque or bank draft
- Please calculate the total fee that you need to pay - registration fee, HSK, HSKK, Prep class, Postage.
- Payable to London Confucius Institute, SOAS, and posted to:
London Confucius Institute
SOAS, University of London
- You will receive an email to confirm your registration once the full payment is received.
- You will receive a detailed exam timetable and other exam information two weeks after the registration deadline.
- Photos: Candidates who are taking HSK 4, 5, 6 and HSKK E, I, A. are required to provide one recent photo for each exam. i.e. if you are taking HSK and HSKK at the same time, two photos will be needed. Please write your name on the back of the photo.
- 30 working days after the exam, you may visit HSK exam site to check the result. Your admission ticket number will be needed.
- The registration fee and exam fee are non-refundable.
- Fees for the Preparatory and Glossing classes are refundable up to a week before the course starts.
- Changes to the exam level and exam date can be processed before the registration deadline. Changes can only be made ONCE without extra charge.
- No change can be processed after the registration deadline.