Bibliographies and indexes
Bibliographies and journal indexes list are compilations of the literature on a certain topic and so are useful starting points. SOAS Library holds a number of these in online or printed formats.
- Africa Bibliography Africa Bibliography is “an authoritative guide to works in African studies published under the auspices of the International African Institute annually since 1984”.
- AfricaBib.org AfricaBib consists of five bibliographic databases: Africana Periodical literature, African Women, Women Travelers, Explorers and Missionaries to Africa, Islam in Contemporary Sub-Saharan Africa, and Kenya Coast.
- Africa-Wide Information contains details about books and articles relating to Africa, especially South Africa, as well as some full text articles. Records have been taken from various institutions' catalogues including SOAS.
On-campus use / Off-campus use
- African Studies Centre (ASC) Web dossiers These useful dossiers are compiled by the African Studies Centre Library in Leiden, Netherlands and list print, electronic resources and web-based information on topical issues in African Studies. ASA Online provides a quarterly overview of journal articles and edited works on Africa in the field of the social sciences and the humanities available in the ASC library.
- CAMP The Cooperative Africana Materials Project (CAMP), is a joint effort by research libraries throughout the world and the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) to promote the preservation of publications and archives concerning Sub-Saharan Africa. CAMP also aims to make these materials in microform available to researchers. SOAS Library subscribes to this project and staff and students are able to request material from CAMP. Requests should be submitted to SOAS Library’s Interlibrary Loans Section.
- ilissAfrica The internet library sub-Saharan Africa (ilissAfrica) offers integrated access to information resources on sub-Saharan Africa. It brings together information that is found on websites, databases or library catalogues in order to facilitate research.
- Nordic Africa Institute library. Web dossiers Web dossiers on African topical issues compiled by Nordic Africa Institute library staff.
- African studies journals This an alphabetical list of e-journals on African studies compiled by several European libraries with links to the journals.
- The African section also holds a range of printed regional and subject bibliographies and indexes on Africa. These can be found amongst the African Reference Collection on Level D, stacks 188-193. This collection includes print copies of the International African bibliography and the Africa bibliography.