Databases at SOAS Library
SOAS Library provides access to databases which support research in Media and Film Studies
SOAS students and staff can cross-search a range of related databases via Primo Central
Below is a list of our major databases available for Media and Film Studies. For a full list of our databases please see A-Z databases
Academic Search Premier (via EBSCOhost)
This is a multi-disciplinary database providing full text for more than 4,600 journals including peer-reviewed academic journals and magazine style journals. [On-campus use]/ Off-campus use]
Communication & Mass Media Complete (via EBSCOhost)
This database offers full texts or indexes of articles from quality resources related to communication and mass media and other closely-related fields of study area. [On-campus use] / [Off-campus use]
Ethnographic Video Online
Searchable database with streaming of over 1,200 ethnographic films. The database includes not only works by world-famous pioneers in the filed (e.g. Jean Rouch, John Marshall) and but also contemporary documentary films in the world. [On-campus use] / [Off-campus use ]
Web of Science
This is a very powerful database which indexes a wide range of journals in various disciplines. You can access to the Arts & Humanities Citation Index and Social Sciences Citation Index. This is a particularly useful database if you are looking for specific authors and their citation records. [On-campus use] / [Off-campus use]
Art Full Text & Abstracts (via EBSCOhost)
Full-text plus abstracts and indexing of an international range of Art related journals. Useful for keyword searching related film studies. [On-campus use]/ [Off-campus use]
BBC Monitoring Library
The database tracks the global media for the latest news report emerging around the world as a searchable source of news, information and comment gathered from media worldwide. [On-campus use]/ [Off-campus use]
Radio at BUVFC
The database of material broadcast by local radio stations between the years 1973 and 1996 in the U.K. The database contains about 1120 sound recordings. [On-campus use] / [Off-campus use]
Database of over UK television and radio programmes from around 300 UK stations including terrestrial, cable, and satellite television (with regional variations), all national and many local radio stations. [On-campus use] / [Off-campus use]
The webpage provides lists of the news databases available at SOAS. You can access newspapers, news wires and news transcripts from around the world.
- World-wide newspapers 1996- (including UK) on Access World News
- UK Newspapers on Lexis Library
- Times of India Digital Archive provides access to local, regional and national news for publication in India from 1838-2003. It is a good place to look for historical events.
- North China Herald is the prime printed source for the history of the foregn presence in China from around 1850 to the 1940.
- Kikuzō II Visual 聞蔵IIビジュアル [朝日新聞オンライン記事データベース] A newspaper database for Asahi Shinbun, containing the national edition and local editions.
- Naver News Library [Naver 뉴스 라이브러리] Provided by the powerful portal site Naver, it is a digital archive for popular newspapers from Korea between 1920 and 1999.
- Mideastwire.com offers a daily newsletter of concise, translated briefs into English from the Arabic and Persian media.
You will find more databases at A-Z List of Electronic databases. For off-campus use, log in via the A-Z electronic databases. You will be asked to insert ID & Password.
Beyond SOAS Library: databases
Senate House Library
SOAS students and staff are entitled to apply to Senate House Library for membership, on production of valid SOAS ID. The membership also will give off-site access to some electronic databases including databases below.
- British Cartoon archives
- Film & TV Database
- International Index to Performing Arts (IIPA) Full Text
- Newsfilm Online