Resources on Individual Religions in the SOAS Library
Sites have been selected by Library staff. Please refer to the main Study of Religions web resources page for general gateways and resources for the Study of Religions.
Buddhism & East Asian religions (Taoism, Confucianism, Shinto)
- Resources for the Study of East Asian Language and Thought Includes the Electronic Buddhist Text Initiative
- Buddhist Studies WWW Virtual Library Excellent gateway to Buddhist resources on the Internet, including texts, organisations, e-mail discussion lists.
- Digital Dictionary of Buddhism Comprises both the Digital Dictionary of Buddhism (DDB) and the CJKV-English dictionary (CJKV-E) for Sinitic characters and compounds related to East Asian cultural, political and intellectual history
- Journal of Buddhist Ethics Free peer-reviewed journal.
- Journal of Global Buddhism Scholarly academic journal, blind peer review.
- WWW Database of Chinese Buddhist Texts
- Chinese Cultural Studies: Texts (full text and selections)
- Academic Info China Studies: Religions in China
- Access to Insight: Readings in Theravada Buddhism
- Sadhu: the Theravada Buddhism Web Directory and Portal
- UK Association for Buddhist Studies
- BuddhaNet Buddhist information and education network
- Buddhism in Myanmar (Burma) Information and resources on Theravada Buddhism, particularly as practiced in Myanmar (Burma).
- Early Buddhist Manuscripts Project Joint Project of the British Library and the University of Washington.
- Tibetan Buddhism Produced by the Government of Tibet in Exile
- Zen Buddhism WWW Virtual Library Gateway to Internet sites relating to Zen. Part of the Buddhist Studies Virtual Library
- Western Buddhist Review. Free journal produced by Friends of the Western Buddhist Order.
- International Shinto Foundation
- Oxford Bibliographies Online: Buddhism [Off-campus]. Online subject bibliography for Buddhism [tick box on first screen to select]. Combines a research level encyclopedia with a traditional bibliography. The bibliography includes selective lists of citations to useful print and online resources as well as narrative guides.
- Catholic Information Network
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Web Directory
- The Vatican web-site
- Church of England web-site
- Russian Orthodox Church - Pravmir.com
- Watchtower The official web-site of Jehovah's Witnesses.
- Bible Gateway Bible search engine in ten languages. Includes several versions of English language Bible translations.
- HMML Chronicle Blog from Hill Museum and Manuscript Library, St John's University, Minnesota on manuscripts and the languages, literature, and history of Christianity in the Middle East (including material in Arabic, Armenian, Syriac and Ge'ez). See also the Library's main website at http://www.hmml.org/index.asp
- Goussen Library (Universität Bonn)
The Goussen Library on Oriental church history was collected by Heinrich Goussen (d.1927) and has been the subject of a digitisation project by the Universität Bonn since 2007.
This open access collection comprises over 1,000 digitised documents and books dating from the 16th – 20th centuries in Western languages, and also in Syrian, Coptic, Ethiopian, Armenian and Georgian, among others.
- Coptica This website created by Pierre Cherix of the University of Geneva gives access to over 100 digitized texts of European studies on Coptic language and literature dating from the 19th century onward. Some of the texts are hosted by different collections such as the Internet Archive.
There are over 30 texts on ancient and Oriental Christianity, including Manichaeism.
- Coptic publications of Oscar von Lemm
The Steklov Mathematical Institute in Moscow has made available a range of publications by the distinguished Russian Coptologist and Egyptologist, Oscar von Lemm (1856-1918). The collection includes 35 documents (Koptische Miscellen and other Coptic studies) appearing in the Bulletin de l'Académie Impériale des Sciences de St.-Pétersbourg between 1898 and 1915. Click on the links to view PDFs of the articles.
- Resources for Syriac Studies
Compiled at Dumbarton Oaks (a research institute of Harvard University), this database brings together "an annotated collection of free and open-source books, journals, and more related to the study of Syriac." It includes histories, dictionaries, grammars, journals and works of historic scholarship dating back to the 16th century
- Academic Info: Hinduism Gateway to many selected web-sites
- Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies Free online journal
- Facets of Religion: Hinduism. Part of the WWW Virtual Library for Religion
- Hindu Resources Online
- An Introduction to Hinduism By Dr. C.P.Ramaswami Aiyar, Dr. Nalinaksha Dutt, Prof. A.R.Wadia, Prof. M.Mujeeb, Dr.Dharm Pal and Fr. Jerome D'Souza, S.J.Taken from the Gazetteer of India, 1965
- Sacred Texts: Hinduism Includes the Vedas, the Mahabharata & the Ramayana and other primary texts.
Gateways and General Websites
- MENALIB (Halle)
- Islamic Studies, Islam, Arabic and Religion
Excellent starting point for Islamic research on the Web. Gateway maintained by Professor Godlas.
- Al-Islam: Resources and Information
Available in 6 other languages incl. Arabic.
- Introduction to Islam
(page maintained by M. Cherif Bassiouni. Middle East Institute in Washington)
Available in 6 other languages incl. Arabic. Maintained by the Ministry of Islamic Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It offers full-text resources for Quran and Hadith studies (in the Arabic interface only).
A comprehensive site (with a Shiite stance), with very good Subject Index developed by the Ahlul Bayt Digital Islamic Library Project.
Website developed by the Princeton University, Dept. of Near Eastern Studies
- USC-MSA Compendium of Muslim Text
Site maintained by the Muslim Student Union of the University of Southern California. It offers good introductory papers to Islam and also searchable English translations of the Quran and Hadith texts.
- MSA West (Muslim Students’ Associations, West Coast)
Islamic directory of all matters related to Islam doctrines and practices.
- Islamic Sufi Orders on the WWW
- Oxford Bibliographies Online: Islamic Studies [Off-campus]. Online subject bibliography for Islamic Studies [tick box on first screen to select]. Combines a research level encyclopedia with a traditional bibliography. The bibliography includes selective lists of citations to useful print and online resources as well as narrative guides.
Electronic Publications and Texts Online
- al-Waraq - الوراق
Al-Waraq provides over a million pages of Arabic and Islamic works (the whole site is in Arabic). It provides extensive information on Arabic literature and humanities (philosophy, theology…) and also the full-text version of a number of texts for free. You’ll need to register first.
- Digital Islam Theses
This project from JISC allows users to access the full-text of over 900 UK PhD theses on Islamic Studies through the ETHOS (Electronic Theses Online Service) supported by the British Library. Most materials date from 1999 onwards and topics covered include the economics, politics, history and culture of Islam and Islamic nations from the earliest times to the present day. Free registration is required before downloading and theses not available for immediate download may take up to 30 days for digitization. The site is currently in Beta mode.
- l-Mawsu‘ah al-Shamilah - الموسوعة الشاملة
This site currently makes more than 3300 books on various fields of Islamic and Arabic studies available online.The entire site is in Arabic. The search form and the whole site are very clear and user-friendly. You can also browse the list of books in each discipline.
This is a comprehensive online Quranic resource.
- Islamic Heritage Project - Harvard University
Digital Library of over 260 Islamic manuscripts, 270 printed books, 50 maps and other key texts relating to the heritage and contribution of Islamic nations from the 13th to the 20th centuries.
- Koran: Holy Qur'an Resources on the Internet
- Hadith: Hadith Search
Centres / Organisations / Other libraries
- Centre of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law (CIMEL)
- Centre for Islamic Studies, University of Wales
- Al-Furqan Islamic Heritage Foundation
This Library specialises in biographical Dictionaries and manuscript Catalogues from around the world in the subject area of Islamic heritage and civilization. The Library has a unique collection of manuscripts on microfilm.
- Institute of Ismaili Studies
The Library’s collections, comprising nearly 25,000 items, consist of printed materials, manuscripts and audiovisual materials.
- Aga Khan University - Institute for the study of Muslim civilisation
- Ismaili Heritage Library (part of the First Ismaili Electronic Library and Database)
- Jewish Studies Network
- Center for Israel & Jewish Studies at Columbia
- Jewish Virtual Library
- Judaism and Jewish Resources
- HaReshima This is a Jewish internet portal.
- Rambi (index of articles on Jewish studies)
- North American Jewish Data Bank
Maintained by the Mandell L. Berman Institute American Jewish Data Bank Center for Judaic Studies and Contemporary Jewish Life (University of Connecticut), providing free access to scientific studies and research on the politics, economics and history of the North American Jewish community. Statistics can be downloaded and the full text of the American Jewish Yearbook is available from 1899 onwards, with articles and surveys on all aspects of North American Jewry, including religion, immigration, identity and culture.
- Diarna : mapping Mizrahi heritage
'Diarna' is Judeo-Arabic for 'our homes' and the website gathers multimedia resources such as videos, digital images and oral histories of the Jewish communities of the Arab world, from North Africa to Iran. Archive material is drawn in part from the Alliance Israelite Universelle and the Beit Hatfusot (Museum of the Jewish People)
- Sikhism One of the earliest Sikh websites. useful for exploring Sikhism from diverse religious, cultural and historical angles.
- SikhNet Online resources for the Sikh community, based in the USA.