Paying library fines
You’ll be fined if you return or renew an item after the due date. This also applies to recalled materials that you return after the new due date.
Our current fine rates
|Long loans (2 weeks/1 month/3 months)||25p per day|
|One-week loans||75p per day|
|CDs (3-day loan)||50p per day|
|DVDs (overnight loan)||50p per hour|
There are also charges for lost items or anything that’s damaged when it’s returned.
How to pay fines
- By credit or debit card (with chip and pin) at the self-issue machines on Level E.
- Online, using a debit or credit card at the Online Payment system. You need a £3 minimum to pay online and it can take up to 24 hours to process. If you accidentally overpay, we can’t give cash refunds, but you’ll get it back as credit on your library account.
- At the Library Issue desk in person with cash or cheque (made payable to SOAS - Library).
You can also pay fines via the Finance Office
- By phone on 020 7074 5030, during office hours 9am to 5pm, Mon-Fri.
- In person by credit/or debit card to the Finance Office at Vernon Square.
- If you’re prepared to send your card details, the Finance Office will accept payment by email too: email@example.com
Please ask the Cashier to email the Library about your payment. They’ll add it to your record and send you a confirmation email.
Please make sure you clear any fines or outstanding charges before you complete your studies at SOAS. Otherwise it could delay your results or graduation information.