Seminars, Conferences and Events
The Department of Linguistics at SOAS is host to a range of academic events and seminars throughout the year. In addition to the Departmental Seminars that run at regular intervals during term time, there are also regular special events, workshops and conferences. Details of future and previous events in the Department of Linguistics can be accessed via the calendar below, or through links to the left.The Linguistics Departmental Seminar Series is a forum for speakers to present their work to an audience of fellow academics and students of Linguistics. These seminars are open to members of SOAS and the wider academic community.
Meetings are normally held on Tuesdays at 3.30pm, in room G3 unless stated otherwise, in the SOAS Main Building. The current schedule is available below.
Please contact Sandy Ritchie (email@example.com) the convenor of the seminar series, if you have any queries.
- DistDB - improving lexicon access for field linguists and phonologists
Elizabeth Eden (UCL)
- Beyond cognacy: Historical relations between words
Mattis List (CNRS)
Please note that this talk will be held on THURSDAY 13th October 2016 in room T102.
- Somali Corpus: A framework for linguistic annotation
Jama Musse Jama (REDSEA Cultural Foundation)
- Decoding Chomsky: Science and Revolutionary Politics
Chris Knight (UCL)
- Keeping small-scale multilingualism going at Warruwi Community (Australia): an intergenerational view
Ruth Singer (University of Melbourne)
- Much Ado About "dou" [all/even] in Mandarin Chinese
Yan Jiang (SOAS)
Maris Camilleri (University of Vienna)
- Writing at the Creative Edge: Tracing the Evolution of a New Idea in Language
Martha Pennington (SOAS)
- Metathesis in Amarasi
Owen Edwards (ANU)
Noriko Iwasaki (SOAS) & Keiko Yoshioka (Leiden)