Seminars, Conferences and Events
The Department of Linguistics at SOAS is host to a range of academic events and seminars throughout the year. In addition to the Departmental Seminars that run at regular intervals during term time, there are also regular special events, workshops and conferences. Details of future and previous events in the Department of Linguistics can be accessed via the calendar below, or through links to the left.
In addition to the events held at SOAS, other events of interest to linguists regularly take place at other institutions in London. Details can be found on the London Linguistics Circle page.
The Linguistics Departmental Seminar Series is a forum for speakers to present their work to an audience of fellow academics and students of Linguistics. These seminars are open to members of SOAS and the wider academic community.
Meetings are normally held on Tuesdays at 3.30pm, in the SOAS Main Building.
Please contact Dr Julia Sallabank firstname.lastname@example.org, the convenor of the seminar series, if you have any queries.
- An overview of Bangime, a language isolate of Mali
Dr Abbie Hantgan, SOAS, Crossroads Project
- Insight Day at SOAS
An invitation only event for prospective undergraduate students who have received an offer from SOAS
- The Phonological Manipulation of Èfìk in the Abakuá Ritual Language
Dr Kirsty Rowan, SOAS
- Stem Structure in Eegimaa: How Compositional is Agglutinative Morphology?
Ken Safir (Rutgers University)
- Tibetan in Digital Communication: building a diachronic part of speech tagged corpus of Tibetan texts
Nathan Hill & Ed Garrett, SOAS
- Linguistics Research Student Conference @ SOAS
- Seventh Austronesian and Papuan Languages and Linguistics conference, 2014
The purpose of the APLL conferences is to provide a venue for presentation of the best current research on Austronesian and Papuan languages and linguistics and to promote collaboration and research in this area.
- Linguistic categorization: a case study
Tania Kouteva, SOAS/University of Dusseldorf
- 24th Meeting of the Southeast Asian Linguistics Society (SEALS24)
This meeting provides a forum to share both research findings and ideas on the languages and linguistics of Southeast Asia, including the Austroasiatic, Austronesian, Hmong-Mien, Tibeto-Burman and Tai-Kadai language families.
- Postgraduate Open Evening
Representatives from departments across the School will be available to answer your questions about postgraduate studies at SOAS.