About the LMEI
The London Middle East Institute (LMEI) draws upon the resources of London and SOAS to provide teaching, training, research, publication, consultancy, outreach and other services related to the Middle East.
The LMEI serves as a neutral forum for the consideration of issues concerning that region and helps to create links between individuals and institutions with academic, commercial, diplomatic, media or other specialisations.
With its own professional staff of Middle East experts, the LMEI is further strengthened by its academic membership - the largest concentration of Middle Eastern expertise in any institution in Europe.
The Founding Patron and Donor, whose generous support helped to bring the idea of the LMEI to fruition, is Sheikh Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber. The MBI Al Jaber Foundation, established by Sheikh Mohamed, supports a wide range of Middle East-related educational activities, including many of those at the LMEI.
The London Middle East Institute has two centres under its umbrella:
Contact the LMEI
Address: London Middle East Institute, SOAS, University of London, MBI Al Jaber Building, 21 Russell Square, London WC1B 5EA. United Kingdom.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7898 4330
Fax: +44 (0)20 7898 4329
- 07 Oct Simin Behbahani: A Career in Poetry
- 14 Oct Contemporary Art from the Middle East: Regional Interactions with Global Art Discourses
- 21 Oct The European Union and Occupied Palestinian Territories: state-building without a state
- Conference Report: Syria – Correcting the Narrative, Building Solidarity
- SOAS academic presents new book on life and legacy of Khomeini
- Walls, Barricades, Borders, Gates: Political Negligence and the Twenty-First Century City
The Middle East in London
The Middle East in London is a leading resource on Middle Eastern communities in London. It includes event, film and book reviews along with the most comprehensive guide to all events pertaining to the Middle East in London and across the UK.
LMEI Summer School
In summer 2014 the LMEI will run an intensive five-week programme which includes a choice of two courses from the following:
- Beginners Arabic (Level 1)
- Beginners Arabic (Level 2)
- Government and Politics of the Middle East
- Culture and Society in the Middle East