About the LMEI
The aim of the London Middle East Institute (LMEI) is to promote knowledge of all aspects of the Middle East including its complexities, problems and achievements.
We provide teaching, training, research, publication, consultancy, outreach and other services related to the whole of the Middle East. The LMEI is based at SOAS, University of London, the world's leading institution for the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East and home to one of the largest concentrations of Middle Eastern expertise in any institution in Europe.
The LMEI is home to the following two centres:
Contact the LMEI
Address: London Middle East Institute, SOAS, University of London, MBI Al Jaber Building, 21 Russell Square, London WC1B 5EA. United Kingdom.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7898 4330
The Founding Patron and Donor, whose generous support helped the establishment of the LMEI, is Sheikh Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber of the MBI Al Jaber Foundation. The Foundation supports a wide range of Middle East-related educational activities.
- 07 Dec Women's Rights and the Arab Uprisings
- 08 Dec 7 Sides of A Cylinder - 7 Short Films by 7 Iranian Filmmakers
- 11 Dec "Cette mosquée n’est d’aucune importance pour notre art architectural." The Balyan family and Levantine solidarity in the face of nationalist historiography in Turkey
- LMEI raises funds in aid of Syrian child refugees
- October-November Edition of The Middle East in London Hits Newsstands
The Middle East in London
LMEI Summer School (20 June-21 July 2016 )
In summer 2016 the LMEI will run an intensive five-week programme which includes a choice of two courses from the following:
- Beginners Arabic (Level 1)
- Beginners Arabic (Level 2)
- Beginners Persian (Level 1)
- Government and Politics of the Middle East
- Culture and Society in the Middle East