The Centre for Excellence in the Teaching and Learning of Languages of the Wider World is a HEFCE-funded collaboration between SOAS and UCL. Its aim is to promote and support excellence in the teaching and learning of languages that do not have a large presence in UK HE, i.e. the languages of the Middle East, Africa, Asia, the Netherlands , Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and Russia.
LWW CETL is committed to the following objectives:
- Enhancing the UK's competence in languages of increasing strategic, commercial and civic importance
- Furthering SOAS and UCL's expertise in the development and evaluation of curriculum, learning materials and teaching techniques
- Bridging the gap between pedagogical research and classroom practice
- Promoting innovation in technology-enhanced language learning and other pedagogies
- Redressing the imbalance that exists between the HE sector's investment in the teaching and learning of less-commonly and more-commonly taught languages
- Raising the national and international profile of academic activity devoted to these languages
- Creating a focal point from which teaching innovations and curricular enhancements can be disseminated
- Generating an exchange of experience from SOAS and UCL with other parts of the UK HE sector and across the EU and the rest of the world
- Increasing the number of students opting to study less-commonly taught languages
- Improving languages learning facilities across SOAS and UCL
- Providing personal development opportunities for language teachers
LWW CETL Representatives
The LWW CETL conducted an interim evaluation in 2007, which is available for download.