- The Centre is unique in the UK in its focus on media in the Global South. It offers an eclectic mix of postgraduate degrees whose non-Eurocentric approach offers fresh directions to examining the contemporary world.
- A dedicated team of full time staff members who are research active, focusing on different aspects of communications, culture, society and critical media theory in the Middle East, Asia and Africa.
- Staff members regularly appear in the media as guests and commentators on various contemporary issues and themes depending on their regional expertise.
- Alumni go onto high profile careers in the media, in NGO and Think Tanks and academic research.
- The centre has broad links with the media industry in the UK and the Global South
- External examiners have consistently remarked positively on the outstanding quality of the students' work
The Centre for Media Studies is unique in the world in its focus on the media and communication landscapes of Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. We study the contemporary world and its historical roots, and are committed to upend, theoretically and empirically, the Western-centric orientation that still pervades media studies scholarship. The research of our award-winning faculty spans media in the Arab world, critical theory and cultural studies, transnational news and India and digital technologies in the Global South.
Research underpins our teaching: students receive a rigorous grounding in their chosen MA and are encouraged to take optional courses across the School of Art and the university to build a degree that truly reflects their interests and goals.
Our Associate Head says:
The Centre for Media Studies is unique in its attention to non-Eurocentric approaches to studying issues related to the communications, politics and cultures of Asia, Africa and the Middle East and their global diasporas. From histories of media development to contemporary social media; from globalization to localization of media practices and use; from cultural politics to political cultures and from mediated performance to visual spectacle, our eclectic degree programmes cover a variety of theoretical and critical approaches and their practical applications in a variety of contexts. Our location in the heart of London with access to global media centres contribute to a valuable student experience.
If you are interested in studying in the Centre for Media Studies contact the Student Recruitment Office:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44(0)20 7898 4034
For other enquiries contact the Arts & Humanities Faculty:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44(0)20 7898 4020
Follow the School of Arts on Twitter and Facebook: