Research Students (MPhil, PhD) in the Music Department
Recently Awarded PhDs
- Kiku Day Remembrance of Things Past: The Archaic Shakuhachi in Contemporary Contexts
- Nicoletta Demetriou The Fones Discourse: Ideology and Practice in Greek Cypriot Folk Music
- Saida Daukeyeva Dombra Performance, Meaning and Memory among Mongolian Kazakhs
- Cloris Lim A Study of Nanyin Activities in Jinjiang Region of Fujian Province, China
- Sara McGuinness Grupo Lokito: A practice-based investigation into contemporary links between Congolese and Cuban popular music
- Moshe Morad Music as a ‘Space’ of Identity, Interaction and Escapism, among Gay Men in Special-period Havana
- Sung-Hee Park Patronage and Creativity in Seoul: The Late 18th to late 19th Century Urban Middle Class and Its Vocal Music
- Jutamas Poprasit The role of music in the Thai funeral ritual in contemporary Bangkok: its history, performance and transmission
- Sabina Rakcheyeva Music as Cultural Diplomacy: A Personal Journey Using Improvisation as a Creative Tool
- Jung Rock Seo Ancient Korean and Japanese Court Dance: Historical Relationship and Transmission: Case of Ch'oyongmu and Nasori
- William Sumits The evolution of the maqam tradition in Central Asia: from the theory of 12 maqam to the practice of shashmaqam
- Shzr Ee Tan Ecosystems of Amis Aboriginal Song in Taiwan
- Ilana Webster-Kogen The Azmari Paradox: Ethnicity, Identity, and Migration in Ethiopian-Israeli Music
- Chloe Zadeh Analysing Thumri.
- Sun Zhuo The Chinese Zheng Zither: 20th - 21st Century Transformations
Musical Networks and the Spatialities of the Digital Age City: Hidden Musicians and public musicking in Shanghai, China.
Discourse about performance practice among Iranian santur players and Ghanaian gjyil players.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Xeremies. Majorcan bagpipes: anthropology of a musical instrument.
- Email: email@example.com
Cosmopolitan natures: an ethnography of the global shakuhachi scene.
Cultural globalization and traditional arts promotion policy: a study of the activating plan for traditional arts in South Korea.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prachan: Music, Competition, and Conceptual Fighting in Thai Culture.
- Email: email@example.com
A Study of Nanyin Activities in Jinjiang Region of Fujian Province, China.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Speaking in tongues: Music, identity, and representation in the international jew’s harp community
- Email: email@example.com
The role of music in the Thai funeral ritual in contemporary Bangkok: its history, performance and transmission.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Discourse and practice of Tarab music in Lebanon.
- Email: email@example.com
Technicians of the Sacred: Generating transcendence in Afro-Cuban orisha worship. An ethnography of praxis in bata drumming.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
'Music is the new battlefield': music creativity as a way to address conflict among Saharawi youth.
- Email: email@example.com
Music, meaning and persuasion in South African public health compaigns.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org