London Centre for the Ancient Near East
These pages are a historic site, from 1995 to 2014. For the current site go to http://banealcane.org.
The London Centre for the Ancient Near East was founded in 1995 as an independent association of university and museum academics, independent scholars and others with interests in the ancient Near East. It now acts as the south-eastern arm of the British Association for Near Eastern Archaeology (BANEA).
The London Centre organizes a regular series of seminars at SOAS. These and other ancient Near Eastern events in London are publicized in the London Diary for the Ancient Near East. Events run by the London Centre are also publicized in the menu on the left side of this page.
The London Diary appears three times a year. Subscription is through membership of BANEA. For details of membership please contact the Membership Secretary, Jan Picton, on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement of aims
The purpose of the London Centre for the Ancient Near East is to promote London as a centre for the study of the ancient Near East: the geographical areas of Mesopotamia, the Levant, Egypt and the Sudan, the Arabian peninsula, Iran, Anatolia and the Aegean world, as well as the Indus valley and other neighbouring regions.
It aims to create a centre to establish closer relations between colleagues with interests in the Ancient Near East on the staff of the various academic institutions in London; to act as a focus for all people with the same interests who are otherwise based in London or who are visiting; to publicize as widely as possible all activities in London relating to the Ancient Near East. In particular it seeks to produce for members a periodic list of public lectures, seminars and other events in London that bear on Ancient Near Eastern topics; to act as a forum in London for seminars, conferences and international meetings; to campaign to make University of London libraries more accessible for non-university scholars; and to raise generally in London public perception of the Ancient Near East.
- Dr Morris Bierbrier (Chairman; British Museum, retired)
- Professor A R George FBA (Vice Chairman and Treasurer; SOAS)
- Mrs Janet Politi (Secretary)
- Professor Emeritus J D Hawkins FBA (SOAS, retired)
- Dr Daniel Schwemer (SOAS)
- Dr Dominique Collon (British Museum, retired)
- Sarah Collins (British Museum)
- George Hart (British Museum)
- Professor A T L Kuhrt FBA (University College London)
- Professor M J Geller (University College London)
- Dr Karen Radner (University College London)
- Dr Claudia Glatz (University College London)
- Jan Picton (University College London)
- Dr Lindsay Allen (King's College London)
- Dr Gwendolyn Leick (Chelsea College of Art and Design)