Certificate in Arabic
Minimum Entry Requirements: The minimum entry requirement is the ability to demonstrate the potential to study at undergraduate level. However, programmes may have their own specific requirements, such as, in the case of language-based studies, a proven ability to learn a language.
This certificate is essentially equivalent to the first year of the School’s four-year BA degree in Arabic. Students acquire a solid initial knowledge of the written language and some with the spoken, and familiarise themselves with aspects of Middle Eastern history and culture. No prior knowledge of Arabic is required.
This is an intensive one-year programme of study. Two courses are taken:
Students take Arabic 1, which is equivalent to three course units. They also choose a fourth unit from the following approved units*:
- Introduction to Arabic culture
- Introduction to Islam
- Literatures of the Near and Middle East
- Music of the Middle East and North Africa
- Art and material culture of the Islamic world
- Mosaics, manuscripts and wall-paintings in Islamic art
- Introduction to the history of the Near and Middle East
* Please note that not every unit may be available every year.
Courses are taught during the day. Teaching begins in late September. Examinations are in May-June
Students take Arabic 1, which is equivalent to three course units. They also choose a fourth unit from the list of approved units.
- Arabic 1 - 155900896 (3 Unit) - Full Year
Choose one of the following
- Introduction to Arabic Culture - 155901205 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Introduction to Islam - 157400020 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Literatures of the Near and Middle East - 155900991 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Music of the Middle East and North Africa - 155800068 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Art and Material Culture of the Islamic World: 7th to 14th Centuries - 154900138 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2013/2014
- Mosaics, Manuscripts, and Wall Painting in Islamic Art - 154900134 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2013/2014
- H130 Introduction to the History of the Near and Middle East - 154800230 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Teaching & Learning
A Student's Perspective
My training as a specialist in the Middle East and Subcontinent would be rather incomplete without these languages or a stay at SOAS!