Certificate in Turkish
The NME department offers a short programme of study in Turkish that leads to the award of a certificate. The syllabus consists of four course units. These units are courses that are available on the single-honours BA programme in Turkish. The options available on the Certificate syllabus are typically as follows:
- Elementary written Turkish
- Aspects of Turkish culture
- Literatures of the Near and Middle East
- Ottoman Turkish language*
- Twentieth-century Turkish literature I*
- Twentieth-century Turkish literature II*
- Turkish literature of the Tanzimat and late nineteenth century*
- Introduction to Islam (subject to permission from Dept of Study of Religions)
- Elementary written Persian
* courses marked with an asterisk require good prior knowledge of Turkish
All the courses above are valued at 1 course unit each.
Full-time syllabus (one year)
Students take four approved courses from the list of available options.
Part-time syllabus (two or three years)
Students spread the four approved courses that are required to be completed for the Certificate over two or three years.
Courses are taught during the day. Teaching begins in October. Examinations are in May-June.
- Elementary Written Turkish - 155901051 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Literatures of the Near and Middle East - 155900991 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Introduction to Islam - 157400020 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Elementary Written Persian - 155901053 (1 Unit) - Full Year
The following course require a good prior knowledge of Turkish
- Ottoman Turkish Language - 155900549 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Teaching & Learning
A Student's Perspective
SOAS is a remarkable institution and I am happy to have chosen to study here. Students of the Middle East can really excel in their chosen fields and this year I have had the chance to study courses in the Politics and Media Studies Departments.