MA Turkish Studies
Duration: One calendar year (full-time); two or three years (part-time, daytime only)
- 13 Nov Law and Social Sciences Postgraduate Open Evening
- 14 Nov Arts and Humanities Postgraduate Open Evening
- 19 Nov Languages and Cultures Postgraduate Open Evening
Minimum Entry Requirements: Minimum upper second class honours degree in a social science or humanities subject or equivalent
Start of programme: September intake only
Mode of Attendance: Full Time or Part Time
This programme enables students to engage critically with different aspects of Turkish culture and society. The degree offers comprehensive training in the field of Turkish studies. Drawing on SOAS's wide resources in the field, the programme allows students to combine courses to build a syllabus of study according to their interests. It serves as excellent preparation for research.
Degree programmes at SOAS - including this one - can include language courses in more than forty African and Asian languages. It is SOAS students’ command of an African or Asian language which sets SOAS apart from other universities.
Students take three taught courses, one designated as major and two as minor.
-If the chosen Major course is not a Turkish Studies course (see List A1), students may not take a Minor course in the same subject as their Major course.
-At least one Minor course must be taken from List A1, A2 or A3.
-No more than one Minor course may be taken from List C. You may not take a course from List C if you are taking a course from List A3.
List A1 (Major)
If the chosen Major course is not from this list, students may not take a Minor course in the same subject as their Major course.
- Social and Political Trends in 19th Century Turkish Literature - 15PNMC373 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2014/2015
- Selected Topics in 20th Century Turkish Literature - 15PNMC374 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Classical Ottoman Literature (Masters) - 15PNMC385 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Turkey:Continuity and Change - 15PNMC377 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- The End of Empire in the Middle East & the Balkans - 15PHIC004 (1 Unit) - Full Year
List A2 (Minor)
- New Cinemas of Turkey - 15PNMH004 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Ottoman Architecture in Istanbul: 15th-19th Century - 15PARH045 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1 - Not Running 2014/2015
- Ottoman Art - 15PARC011 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2014/2015
List A3 (Minor)
- Elementary Written Turkish - 15PNMC386 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Intensive Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC395 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Intermediate Modern Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC383 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Advanced Translation (Turkish) - 15PNMC044 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Ottoman Turkish Language (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC397 (1 Unit) - Full Year
List B (Minor)
Department of Anthropology and Sociology
- Issues in the Anthropology of Film - 15PANH022 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Culture and Society of the Near & Middle East - 15PANC097 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- African and Asian Cultures in Britain - 15PANH009 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives A (Masters) - 15PANH047 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives B (Masters) - 15PANH048 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2 - Not Running 2014/2015 - Must be taken with the first term course - 15PANH047 Comparative Study of Islam: Anthropological Perspectives A (Masters)
- Issues in the Anthropology of Gender - 15PANH024 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Department of Development Studies
- Problems of development in the Middle East and North Africa - 15PDSH019 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Centre for Gender Studies
- Gender in the Middle East - 15PGNH001 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Department of History
- Origins and Development of Islam in the Middle East: Problems and Perspectives - 15PHIC040 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Outsiders in Medieval Middle Eastern Societies: Minorities, Social Outcasts and Foreigners - 15PHIH006 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2 - Not Running 2014/2015
- The Middle East, the Mongols and the Silk Road to China - 15PHIC067 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2014/2015
- Modernity and the Transformation of the Middle East I - 15PHIH031 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Modernity and the Transformation of the Middle East II - 15PHIH032 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Department of the Languages and Cultures of Near and Middle East
- Theory and techniques of Comparative Literature - 15PCSC002 (1 Unit) - Full Year
School of Law
- Law and society in the Middle East and North Africa - 15PLAC130 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Centre for Media and Film Studies
- Iranian Cinema - 15PMSH010 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Department of Music
- Music of the Near and Middle East and North Africa - 15PMUC033 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2014/2015
- Central Asian Music - 15PMUH008 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Department of Politics and International Studies
- Comparative politics of the Middle East - 15PPOC026 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Political society in the Middle East - 15PPOH008 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Political violence - 15PPOH009 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Politics of resistance in the Middle East - 15PPOH010 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- State and transformation in the Middle East - 15PPOH011 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Islam and political ideologies - 15PPOH007 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Violence, justice and the politics of memory - 15PPOH019 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Islam and politics - 15PPOH006 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- State and Society in Central Asia and the Caucasus - 15PPOH022 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Geopolitics and Security in Central Asia and the Caucasus - 15PPOH023 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- The Law & Politics of State Violence: An Interdisciplinary Perspective - 15PPOH034 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
Department of the Study of Religions
- Syriac for Beginners - 15PSRC175 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Eastern and Orthodox Christianity - 15PSRC055 (1 Unit) - Full Year
List C (Minor)
Students may only take one course from this list. Students may not take a course from this list if they are taking a course from List A3.
- Introduction to Standard Modern Arabic - 15PNMC032 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Arabic 300 (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC390 (1 unit - 45 cats Unit)
- Elementary Georgian (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC381 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Intermediate Georgian (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC380 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Elementary Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC392 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2014/2015
- Intermediate Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC393 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Advanced Hebrew (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC394 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Elementary Written Persian - 15PNMC387 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Elementary Persian Texts (Postgraduate) - 15PNMC384 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Teaching & Learning
Teaching & Learning
As a postgraduate student specialising in Turkish Studies, you will gain competency in language skills and intercultural awareness and understanding. Familiarity with the region will have been developed through a combination of the study of language, literature and culture (which can include literature, film, music, art and religion) of various parts of the Middle East.
Graduates leave SOAS not only with linguistic and cultural expertise, but also with a portfolio of widely transferable skills which employers seek in many professional and management careers in both business and the public sector. These include written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to research, amass and order information from a variety of sources.
For more information about Graduate Destinations from this department, please visit the Careers Service website.
A Student's Perspective
Tamara Bah, American University, Washington
Before I came to SOAS, I knew that my grade would depend on either one or two large assignments and I was apprehensive about that—almost scared, however I am glad as I got to learn a lot about myself as a student. I became more independent academically and got to see what I can really accomplished without teachers “coddling” me along the way. Extremely refreshing!