- ‘How do economic sanctions (not) work? Lessons from Myanmar’
Dr. Lee Jones (Queen Mary)
- 'Rape as a Weapon: Instrumentality, Political Economy and Wartime Sexual Violence'
Dr. Paul Kirby (University of Sussex)
- ‘Literacy Improvement and the Effect of Colonization in Korea’
Dr. Christopher Paik (NYU, Abu Dhabi)
- Can China Be Governed?
Professor Bruce Dickson (George Washington University)
- International religious freedom and the politics of religious difference
Professor Elizabeth Hurd, Northwestern University
- Insight Day at SOAS
An invitation only event for prospective undergraduate students who have received an offer from SOAS
- ‘Choosing Terror’
Prof. Page Fortna (Columbia University)
- ‘W(h)ither Militarism?’
Dr. Anna Stavrianakis (University of Sussex)
- Prof Lawrence Saez, Hybrid capitalism and the development of a welfare state in Asia
Professor Lawrence Saez
Inaugural Lecture, Prof Lawrence Saez, Hybrid capitalism and the development of a welfare state in Asia
- 'Wronged by Empire: Post-Imperial Ideology and Foreign Policy in India and China'
Dr. Manjari Chatterjee Miller (Boston University)
- Wronged by Empire: Colonial Memories and Victimhood in India's and China's Foreign Policy Today
Manjari Chatterjee Miller
- The New Terrain of International Law: Courts, Politics, Rights
Professor Karen Alter
- Disabled Diaspora, Rehabilitating State: The Queer Politics of Reproduction in Israel/Palestine
Roundtable with Jasbir Puar (Rutgers University) featuring Atef Alshaer, Brenna Bhandar, Aeyal Gross and Katherine Natanel. Chaired by Rahul Rao.
No booking is required except for wheelchair space. The venue is wheelchair accessible, although the space for wheelchairs is very limited. To reserve a space, or if you have any other disability-related needs, please contact Rahul Rao (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance of the event.
- Book Launch: Political Changes in Taiwan Under Ma Ying-jeou
Speakers: Jacques deLisle (Pennsylvania) and Dafydd Fell (SOAS)
- Negotiating Invisibility:The Political Economy of Lesbian Activism in Asia
Dr Timothy Hildebrandt (LSE)
- Theatres of Land Reform: Performance and State Building in Su'nan and Taiwan, 1950 - 53
Professor Julia C. Strauss
Professor Julia C. Strauss's Inaugural Lecture
- Commerce, Progress and the State of Nature in Montesquieu and Rousseau
Dr Manjeet Ramgotra (SOAS)
- Undergraduate Open Day
- This Open Day is aimed at anyone interested in studying at SOAS at undergraduate level.
- The Local Arena of Power-Sharing:Extracts from Burundi, DRC, Liberia and Kenya
Ms Franzisca Zanker (Ph.D. Candidate, German Institute for Global and Area Studies)
- The Sudden Fall of Autocrats: Coup d'etat in Consolidated Leadership Regimes, 1945-2014
Dr Holger Albrecht (American University in Cairo, Egypt)
- The Tortuga Curse: How Illicit Capital Creates a Resource Curse in Somalia
Dr Ryan Jablonski (LSE)
- Waiting for the Barbarians: Imagining a Future with Rising Powers
Dr Ayse Zarakol (Cambridge University)
- Popular Culture in Taiwan: Reading Harry Potter in Taiwan
Speaker: Marc L. Moskowitz (University of South Carolina)