Student Welfare and Personal Advisors
Undergraduate Welfare Tutor and Personal Advisors
The Welfare Tutor and Personal Advisors are two resources in the Department of Politics and International Studies designed to help students with life both in and out of the classroom.
The Welfare Tutor’s role is to provide support to students experiencing personal, social and/or academic problems that are affecting their academic studies and performance. The Welfare Tutor can provide advice and offer referrals related to a range of welfare services provided by SOAS to deal with issues such as workload and time management; personal stress and anxiety, and discrimination. In keeping with the School’s policy on the respect of personal privacy, the Welfare Tutor will deal with students’ concerns in confidence.
Every academic year, undergraduate students in the Department are assigned a Personal Advisor. The Personal Advisor’s role is to discuss the student’s academic progress, provide support and advice on how to deal with academic challenges and difficulties a student may encounter at SOAS. Students are encouraged to visit their personal advisors during the second week of each term. Regular meetings with your Personal Advisor over the course of your time at SOAS will ensure that Personal Advisors can provide you with the best academic advice possible.
Learn more on what you can expect from your personal advisors.
Dr. Carlo Bonura, Welfare Tutor, Politics and International Studies
Tel: 020 7898 4617
Undergraduate Programme Convenors and Undergraduate Year Tutors
- Prof Arshin Adib-Moghaddam- BA International Relations Programme Convenor
- Dr Michael Buehler- BA Politics Programme Convenor
- Dr Reem Abou-El-Fadl, First Year Tutor
- Dr Tom Young, Second Year Tutor
- Dr Matthew Eagleton-Pierce, Third Year Tutor
Postgraduate Tutors and Postgraduate Programme Convenors
- Dr Dafydd Fell, Postgraduate Tutor (Term 1)
- Dr Kristin Surak, Postgraduate Tutor (Terms 2/3)
- Professor Charles Tripp, Programme Convenor, MSc Middle East Politics
- Dr Rahul Rao, Programme Convenor, MSc Comparative Political Thought
- Dr Mark Laffey- Programme Convenor, MSc in International Politics
- Dr Matthew Nelson- Programme Convenor, MRes Politics with (Language).
- Dr Enze Han - Programme Convenor, MSc Asian Politics
- Dr Tat Yan Kong- Programme Convenor, MSc State, Society and Development
- Prof Stephen Hopgood- Programme Convenor, MSc Conflict, Rights and Justice
- Dr Yuka Kobayashi- Programme Convenor, MSc Politics of China
- Dr Phil Clark- Programme Convenor, MSc Politics of Africa