Certificate in Political Studies
Minimum Entry Requirements: The minimum entry requirement is the ability to demonstrate the potential to study at undergraduate level. However, programmes may have their own specific requirements, such as, in the case of language-based studies, a proven ability to learn a language.
This certificate is a one-year course that is offered by the department to those who are keen to study politics at Masters level, but do not have a first degree in the subject. It is also of interest for those who do not wish to commit three or four years to an undergraduate degree but want to study some introductory courses. It is particularly useful for students who have a first degree in an Africa- or Asia-related subject or language, and who wish to apply that skill to the study of a particular country or region.
Students have to take four undergraduate units from those that are available to full-time undergraduate students, with whom they also attend lectures and tutorials. Course expectations are the same as for full time students (attendance, coursework, essays, annual examinations, etc). Passing the certificate at an upper second class standard is normally deemed to make a student eligible for the taught Master's degrees offered by the Department of Politics and International Studies at SOAS.
Students normally choose TWO introductory units and ONE EACH from the Disciplinary and Regional units. The following is a list of available courses - please note that not every course may be available every year.
- Introduction to political theory - 153400001 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Comparative and international politics - 153400063 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2014/2015
- States, people, and power in Asia and Africa - 153400056 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Comparative political sociology of Asia and Africa - 153400067 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- International politics - 153400014 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Political theory - 153400054 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Politics of development - 153400042 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Government and politics of China - 153400071 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Government and politics of the Middle East - 153400060 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Government and politics of South Asia - 153400020 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Southeast Asian government and politics - 153400022 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- The state and politics in Africa - 153400064 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Taiwan's political and economic development - 153400072 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Teaching & Learning
Teaching & Learning
Classes are taught through lectures, tutorials and seminars. Assessment is by a combination of written examination and essays.
SOAS Library is one of the world's most important academic libraries for the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East, attracting scholars from all over the world. The Library houses over 1.2 million volumes, together with significant archival holdings, special collections and a growing network of electronic resources.
A Student's Perspective
I came to SOAS because I wanted to gain a detailed insight into the politics and political systems of the developing world, but I’ve got so much more than that